youtube like video?

Jassim Rahma

how can i develop a youtube like website.. the thing i want to know is how
to protect the video by converting ot to flash?

Bryce

Jassim said:
how can i develop a youtube like website.. the thing i want to know is
how to protect the video by converting ot to flash?

Flash Pro (I think) comes with a video converter to convert to flash
video... Plus, I think its pretty easy to load a regular encoded video
into a flash app.

dotnet_coder

Flash Pro (I think) comes with a video converter to convert to flash
video... Plus, I think its pretty easy to load a regular encoded video
into a flash app.

You also could use SilverLight, download the SDK from Microsoft and it
has a built in way to display videos, very similar to flash.

Jassim Rahma

any example on how to use silver light to convert or load a video file with
ASP.NET?

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

Hi,

Jassim said:
any example on how to use silver light to convert or load a video file
with ASP.NET?

With Silverlight, you encode the video using Expression Media Encoder
(an application by Microsoft), which does almost everything for you. If
you want to host the video yourself, that's about all you have to do.
You can also use a free service provided by Microsoft to host your video
on a streaming server. You get 4GB for free at http://silverlight.live.com

For ASP.NET, you use the "ASP.NET futures" controls, one of them is a
Media control allowing to eaqsily integrate the Silverlight video player
on your ASP.NET web page, including skin customization.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...30c-ad92-d5be5b5ead98&displaylang=en#Overview
http://quickstarts.asp.net/Futures/Silverlight/media.aspx

That should get you started!

Laurent

Jassim Rahma

what i want to know is the following:

is it possible to let my website visitors to upload the wmv or avi but when
viewing the site it will run avi or wmv in silverlight?

Laurent Bugnion said:
Hi,

--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft.ch

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

Hi,

Jassim said:
what i want to know is the following:

is it possible to let my website visitors to upload the wmv or avi but
when viewing the site it will run avi or wmv in silverlight?

In the moment, Silverlight supports only WMV and VC1 (which is the codec
used in Blu-Ray HD disks). You can change the source of the movie to
anything you like, but of course that implies some programming. It's not
very difficult to do.

The advantage of using Silverlight to do this instead of Flash is the
very good integration of Silverlight with ASP.NET. The disadvantage is
that Silverlight is not released yet, so you would work with pre-release
code (however Silverlight RC1 has been released last Friday, and
Microsoft promises that there won't be any more breaking changes in the
future, so that shouldn't be too painful).

I hope it helps,
Laurent
Laurent Bugnion said:
Hi,

Jassim said:
[...]

Cubaman

You also could use SilverLight, download the SDK from Microsoft and it
has a built in way to display videos, very similar to flash.

Silver ligth is beta software and not ready for production sites.
Adobe Flash is a more tested tecnology.
Best regards.
Oscar Acosta

Guest

Silver ligth is beta software and not ready for production sites.
Adobe Flash is a more tested tecnology.

....and not so many people have Silverlight plugin installed. In case
of Flash nearly everyone has its plugin

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> why can't microsoft include the plugins in the Windows Update?!!!

I bet that, eventually, it will...after the technology matures.

There's tons of features which need to be tested widely,
and perhaps new features to be included...or old/bad ones eliminated.

Give it time...

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

HI,

Jassim said:
why can't microsoft include the plugins in the Windows Update?!!!

Because it's still CTP. For the records, the reason why Silverlight 1.0
focuses a lot on video is to spread its installation to a maximum of PCs
in the smallest possible time. Studies have shown that video is the
medium for which the most people accept to install new software. Given
that in optimum conditions, Silverlight can be installed in just a few
seconds, it's going to be available on a lot of PCs soon.

Silverlight is more than just video. Just give it some time and it will
offer a very interesting alternative to Flash, especially for those
(like me) who dislike the Flash designer and prefer to use Visual Studio
for development.

HTH,
Laurent