Zipping files

dp_pearce

Hi all,

I have come across an error while using zipfile and I can't seem to
find somewhere that explains the problem. My script needs to be able
to take text files from one drive and add them to zip files on another
drive. The following seems to work just fine.

import zipfile

# write test file in working directory directory
folder = "J:/"
filename = "testing.txt"
fullpath = folder+filename
fout = open(fullpath, 'wt')
fout.write(str1)
fout.close()

# Add text file to zip file on same drive
zFolder = "J:/"
zFilename = "testing.zip"
zFullpath = zFolder+zFilename
zout = zipfile.ZipFile(zFullpath, "w")
zout.write(fullpath)
zout.close()
print fullpath, "successfully added to", zFullpath

However, if I change the drive letters to anything other than the
drive from which the Python script is saved (e.g. run script from J:
but zip to C:), I get the following warning:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "J:/test.py", line 18, in <module>
zout = zipfile.ZipFile(zFullpath, "w")
File "C:\Python25\lib\zipfile.py", line 339, in __init__
self.fp = open(file, modeDict[mode])
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:/testing.zip'

Can anyopne shed some light on what I am missing here? If it has any
relevance to the permissions part of the error, I am currently using
Windows machines.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dan

Tim Golden

dp_pearce said:
[...]

Is it possible that you don't in fact have permission
to write to c:\? I seem to recall that non-power-users
on XP don't have that permission, and I bet that Vista
makes that even more restrictive.

TJG

dp_pearce

When I saw "Permission denied", this was my suspicion. And I think you
are very right. I have just gone back and tried writing to a file
outside of C:, in this case C:/output/, and it seems to work again.

Would I be right in guessing there is no way around this?

Dan

Tim Golden

dp_pearce said:
When I saw "Permission denied", this was my suspicion. And I think you
are very right. I have just gone back and tried writing to a file
outside of C:, in this case C:/output/, and it seems to work again.

Would I be right in guessing there is no way around this?

Well, you could (presumably) alter your own user's
groups / rights and/or the permissions on the root
of the C: drive so that you *can* zip to that location.

On the other hand, chucking random stuff into the
root of the system drive has never been considered
a brilliant idea. (Altho' I know a lot of people
who do it :) ). Why not create a suitable folder
lower down, or in your own %APPDATA% area, or using
the tempfile module, depending on your needs?

TJG