Zlib Error in ubuntu while installing new gems

Arunkumar Balu

Hi,

After installing the rubygems 1.3.1, I face the following issues while
installing new gems.

Error:

arun@mysystem:~/Desktop$ sudo gem install ip2country-0.0.2.gem

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Zlib::GzipFile::Error)
not in gzip format

My Environment:

OS - ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron version.

Ruby - ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i486-linux]

RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.1
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i486-linux]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby1.8
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-linux
- GEM PATHS:
- /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- /home/arun/.gem/ruby/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rubyforge.org/

Please suggest a solution. I want to install required gems. Do i need to
revert my rubygems version? because in my older version rubygems-1.0.1,
i dont see any errors. is it a bug in rubygems-1.3.1 or do i need to
change anything?

Thanks,

Arun.

Roger Pack

arun@mysystem:~/Desktop$ sudo gem install ip2country-0.0.2.gem

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Zlib::GzipFile::Error)
not in gzip format

did you apt-get install the ruby zlib libs?

Arunkumar Balu

Roger said:
did you apt-get install the ruby zlib libs?

Yes I did, but still it throws the error. If i use rubygems-1.0.1, then
i found no problems in installing gems. Its working well with
rubygems-1.0.1.

Roger Pack

Arunkumar said:
Yes I did, but still it throws the error. If i use rubygems-1.0.1, then
i found no problems in installing gems. Its working well with
rubygems-1.0.1.

I'd try rebuilding all from scratch, or just stick with gems 1.0.1 :)
There may have been some difficulty from an upgrade from 1.0.1 to 1.3.1
maybe it kept behind old cached [somehow bad] files?
-=r