zOS: fopen for record-IO with any LRECL and RECFM

Rudi

Hi!

For record-IO I have to specific the correct LRECL and RECFM on fopen,
e.g.
fileptr=fopen(DDNAME,"type=record,recfm=fb,lrecl=80")

and later fread with
fread(LINE, 1, 80, fileptr )

If LRECL or RECM is wrong:
EDC5087I The specified file characteristics did not match those of the
existing file.

Since I cannot open the file with compatible Attributes like
recfm=vb,lrecl=32760, I have to retrieve these file characterics in
advance.

How?

Thanx for any hint, Rudi

Christopher Benson-Manica

Dave Thompson

(CCed)
Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/dj3vande/clc/clc-welcome.txt

Although the list of OS pointers there does not cover this case. IME
OS/360 et seq are sufficiently close to the topic of comp.lang.asm.370
to be accepted and handled. I believe there is more than one C
compiler and possibly library used on the 360 clan, though I'm not
sure about zOS specifically; if so which might make a difference to
the answer so I suggest you specify it.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net