1st draft - Java FAQ

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Andrew Thompson, Mar 6, 2004

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Sj=F6blom?=, Mar 6, 2004

  3. "Andrew Thompson" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp
    >
    > Comments welcome, contributions even more so.

    Err... you are serious, right? You have 9 (nine) questions, no index (of
    course, what for). OK...
    So you don't have a faq yet but are willing to make one.
    1. Ask people for contrib: Done
    2. Browse newsgroup archives for issues which are frequently discussed.
    3. Examine how other faqs are made.
    4. Be verbose. Be objective. Be concrete. Be terse.
    "XYZ is the best solution to your problem" is not an answer.
    a) Define the problem. To know what's going on is the first step to solving
    it.
    b) Discuss solutions. Name all solutions you know and discuss pros and cons.
    c) Give detailed advice. People want to know what to type, which files to
    install. Give examples.
    d) Give links to further info + resources and _explain_ them.
    5. Make and index. As the site grows, make a search.
    6. Make cross links.

    Albert
    Albert Deinbeck, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Albert Deinbeck wrote:

    <snip>

    And, to be honest, the page is way too busy with everything in boxes and no
    rhyme or reason to such. A FAQ should be simple and easy to use; if the
    reader can't find their question within a few seconds they're going to
    leave.

    Not to toot my own horn, but I would recommend the OP use a style similar to
    my J2ME FAQ. I made it simple, putting the Qs into XML and then generating
    very straight forward HTML from it using a stylesheet:

    <http://mcpierce.mypage.org/xml/faq.dtd> The DTD
    <http://mcpierce.mypage.org/xml/faq2html.xsl> The stylesheet
    <http://mcpierce.mypage.org/data/j2mefaq.xml> The input
    <http://mcpierce.mypage.org/j2mefaq.html> The output

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
    Darryl L. Pierce, Mar 7, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Sj=F6blom?=, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Andrew Thompson

    Dave Glasser Guest

    "Darryl L. Pierce" <> wrote on Sun, 07 Mar 2004
    13:26:29 GMT in comp.lang.java.programmer:

    >And, to be honest, the page is way too busy with everything in boxes and no
    >rhyme or reason to such. A FAQ should be simple and easy to use; if the
    >reader can't find their question within a few seconds they're going to
    >leave.

    To that I would add that I think the primary version of a FAQ should
    be in a single plain text file, following the format commonly used by
    FAQs at:

    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/

    --
    Check out QueryForm, a free, open source, Java/Swing-based
    front end for relational databases.

    http://qform.sourceforge.net
    Dave Glasser, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Andrew Thompson

    Dave Glasser Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote on Sat, 06 Mar 2004
    14:04:50 GMT in comp.lang.java.programmer:

    >http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp
    >
    >Comments welcome, contributions even more so.

    I think your draft relies far too much on links to other
    sources--links which may or may not work in the future. If you want
    the FAQ to be truly useful, put the actual answers to the questions in
    the FAQ document itself. And as I replied to another poster in this
    thread, I think the primary version of a FAQ should be in a single,
    easily searchable, vi-browsable plain text file, in the format
    commonly used at:

    Dave Glasser, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp
    >
    > Comments welcome, contributions even more so.

    I noticed some of the entries are rather short. Here is some stuff that
    could be added:

    Creating EXE files

    If you really need to make an exe file, see link to mindprod page.
    However, there are number of reasons not to package your app in an
    executable:

    1) It will probably not be any faster. Modern virtual machines don't
    interpret bytecodes, they actually execute native, compiled code. Some
    explanation about JIT compilers.

    2) Static compilation increases the size of your application multifold,
    since all of the libraries you are using need to be linked into the
    application.

    3) You lose 'free' upgrades to your program. Anytime your user downloads
    a new faster virtual machine, your app gets a speed boost. If you are
    using an exe, you will not get this benefit.

    What kinds of questions belong in the Java newsgroups

    No general programming/algorithm questions. They probably belong in
    comp.programming, or rarely comp.theory. Language wars are on-topic in
    comp.lang.java.advocacy, but not in any of the other java groups.
    Examples of questions that do not belong to the java groups:

    Q: How do I sort an array of integers?
    A: This has got nothing to do with java. A sorting algorithm will look
    the same in just about any language. However, you could ask if there is
    some standard library function for sorting arrays (java.util.Arrays).

    Q: Is Java better than C++?
    A: You are a dumbass or a troll. In any case, please go away.

    Java IDEs

    Some links with short descriptions should be enough.
    www.eclipse.org - Industrial strength open source IDE
    www.bluej.org - An good IDE for people new to java
    Intellij, JBuilder etc.

    Resources

    Add link to IBM's java page. http://www-136.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
    Add link to Sun's java tutorial. Adress escapes my mind.

    First steps

    It could be good to add a step-by-step guide here. I.e. download the
    SDK, install some IDE maybe, read the Sun tutorial. Something to really
    make it easy to get into java.

    Newsgroups

    Add comp.lang.java.machine. For discussions about JVM internals,
    bytecode format etc.
    Add comp.lang.java.advocacy. For flamewars about java :)
    Add notice about comp.lang.java. This group is dead and should not be
    posted to.

    That's about it for now.
    --
    Daniel Sjöblom
    Remove _NOSPAM to reply by mail
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Sj=F6blom?=, Mar 7, 2004
  9. On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:21:37 +0100, Albert Deinbeck wrote:

    > "Andrew Thompson" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp
    >>
    >> Comments welcome, contributions even more so.

    > Err... you are serious, right? You have 9 (nine) questions,

    How many questions are frequently asked?
    What ones are missing?

    I am thinking of adding 'favorite IDE' as
    well as a couple of others, but I wnat to
    have no more than 15 qns.

    >..no index (of
    > course, what for).

    I generally gerenate content prior
    to bothering with indexes, but I
    have added some links at the top.

    > ..OK...
    > So you don't have a faq yet but are willing to make one.
    > 1. Ask people for contrib: Done
    > 2. Browse newsgroup archives for issues which are frequently discussed.
    > 3. Examine how other faqs are made.
    > 4. Be verbose. Be objective. Be concrete. Be terse.

    Be verbose, be terse?

    I choose as terse as practical.

    I will not respond to the latter comments since
    I feel they were made on te assumption that
    this was the FAQ.. as opposed to the
    '1st draft of the FAQ'

    Please, if you have any specific suggestions
    for wording changes, topics to include, or leave
    out, speak up. Now is the time.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Mar 7, 2004
  10. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:26:29 GMT, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > And, to be honest, the page is way too busy with everything in boxes and no
    > rhyme or reason to such. A FAQ should be simple and easy to use; if the
    > reader can't find their question within a few seconds they're going to
    > leave.

    I'll be looking to organise the order and
    logic of the page once I have a better idea
    of what it's content will be.

    > Not to toot my own horn, but I would recommend the OP use a style similar to
    > my J2ME FAQ. I made it simple, putting the Qs into XML and then generating
    > very straight forward HTML from it using a stylesheet:

    I was using a nested list at first, as I
    assume you are doing in the J2ME FAQ, but
    decided to leave it 'flat' for the moment
    (same reason as above)

    And (pause) as far as the style goes,
    I might temper the tone of it down, but
    I would gnaw my own arm off before I
    would post a web-page with a white
    background.

    It is _so_ last millennium!

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Mar 7, 2004
  11. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 09:53:36 -0500, Dave Glasser wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson <> wrote on Sat, 06 Mar 2004
    > 14:04:50 GMT in comp.lang.java.programmer:
    >
    >>http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp
    >>
    >>Comments welcome, contributions even more so.

    > ..I think the primary version of a FAQ should be in a single,
    > easily searchable, vi-browsable plain text file, in the format
    > commonly used at:
    >
    > ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/

    This has been expressed by several people,
    so I think I should express why I will _not_
    be doing it as a plain text file, and why
    it will mostly be links.

    The majority of the links in the page are
    not to a specific document, they are searches
    of the Google archives. The key to their
    success or failure will lie in how well
    I specify the keywords.

    The links to the archive are to gently prod
    people to look into what has already been
    written, and even better, they should always
    be 'up to date'.

    Unfortunately the links are quite long,
    would be unwieldy in a text document, and
    I suspect they would break in line length
    if posted to the groups themselves. Vis.
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?q="java+webstart"&scoring=d&meta=group=comp.lang.java.*>

    As a result I am considering merely linking
    to it from within the group, though I do not
    know how effective that will be. I may have
    to eventually produce a version better suited
    to textual viewing and usenet

    ***

    Having said that, a lot of the stuff there
    was simply to remind me to 'fill it in'.

    This seems to have generated a deal of
    confusion in that people seemed to think
    I was finished on the topic, or had garnered
    all relevant links.

    I have not, and I apologise for not making
    that more clear.

    It needs a deal more links to resources at
    Roedy's site, and every time I go to Sun
    recently I seem to be greeted with pages
    that have recently moved and a vague promise
    of a better search facility.

    I need to chase both up.

    Thanks all who have contributed thus far..

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Mar 7, 2004
  12. Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >> Not to toot my own horn, but I would recommend the OP use a style similar
    >> to my J2ME FAQ. I made it simple, putting the Qs into XML and then
    >> generating very straight forward HTML from it using a stylesheet:

    > I was using a nested list at first, as I
    > assume you are doing in the J2ME FAQ, but
    > decided to leave it 'flat' for the moment
    > (same reason as above)

    A list at the top lets the user quickly browse through the actual questions
    without getting bogged down with skipping the answers. But, that's a
    personal opinion on it; I know I wouldn't spend time reading a FAQ if I
    couldn't find a content list for it first.

    > And (pause) as far as the style goes,
    > I might temper the tone of it down, but
    > I would gnaw my own arm off before I
    > would post a web-page with a white
    > background.
    >
    > It is _so_ last millennium!

    Yeah, I'm old-school. Y'know, you can always edit the page *after*
    generating it. ;)

    Darryl L. Pierce, Mar 7, 2004
  13. Dave Glasser wrote:

    >>http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp
    >>
    >>Comments welcome, contributions even more so.

    > I think your draft relies far too much on links to other
    > sources--links which may or may not work in the future. If you want
    > the FAQ to be truly useful, put the actual answers to the questions in
    > the FAQ document itself. And as I replied to another poster in this
    > thread, I think the primary version of a FAQ should be in a single,
    > easily searchable, vi-browsable plain text file, in the format
    > commonly used at:
    >
    > ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/

    What's the advantage to doing this? It seems more cumbersome to have to go
    through different documents in order to find your answer, rather than
    having them all in one place. If they were all in one file then you could
    subscribe to changes to that one document.

    Darryl L. Pierce, Mar 7, 2004
  14. Andrew Thompson

    Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp
    >
    > Comments welcome, contributions even more so.

    Peace be unto you.

    "The Source for Developers"
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/reference/faqs/index.html

    Some samples

    Can applets read or write files?
    http://java.sun.com/sfaq/index.html#read

    A10. Is JavaScript technology available? How do I find out more about it?
    http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/faq.html#A10

    E5. Why do I get a NoClassDefFoundError when I try to run my HelloWorld
    app?
    http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/faq.html#E5

    How do I save an image as a TIFF (or: BMP, JPEG, PNG, ...)?
    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/forDevelopers/jaifaq.html#save

    How do I keep the information from getting cut off from the top and left
    sides of the page when I print using the Java 2D printing API?
    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/reference/faqs/index.html#cutoff

    Why can't I run Java 2D applets in my browser?
    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/reference/faqs/index.html#plugin

    Have a good day.
    , May 26, 2004
  15. On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:49:01 GMT, wrote:

    <snip links>
    Thank you for the links, It appears you
    have identified some excellent resources
    that I entirely missed.

    I will have a look over each and decide
    the best place to put it in the PhySci
    Java FAQ..