Charts & Graphs in Java

Saunvit Pandya

Hello,

Is there any way to design charts and graphs (bar graphs, line graphs,
etc.) in Java for a standalone application/applet without having to manually
unroll a new charting tool using Graphics (i.e. design it from scratch)? I
have looked through the Awt and Swing API's, and so far I haven't found a
tool/class that can take care of some of the backend drudgework for you --
which makes it difficult if you want to make minor changes to graphs every
time you want to use them (i.e. changing the colors of the bars). I think
that JSP may have a charting component, but I don't know if that serves the
functionality that I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,

SP

Saunvit Pandya

Sorry, didn't realize that there was also a comp.lang.java.gui groups as
well. I apologize for the redundant posting.

Jim Cochrane

Hello,

Is there any way to design charts and graphs (bar graphs, line graphs,
etc.) in Java for a standalone application/applet without having to manually
unroll a new charting tool using Graphics (i.e. design it from scratch)? I
have looked through the Awt and Swing API's, and so far I haven't found a
tool/class that can take care of some of the backend drudgework for you --
which makes it difficult if you want to make minor changes to graphs every
time you want to use them (i.e. changing the colors of the bars). I think
that JSP may have a charting component, but I don't know if that serves the
functionality that I am looking for.

Try a google search for charting or graphing libraries, and on
sourceforge.net. There are a few around, some of which are open source.

Jeff

I use JChart by Quest software. You have to buy it, but then the support is
excellent. We use the charts in software we sell so we're very picky about
the look and stability. I'm a happy customer of theirs.

As to the drudgework - I wrote a few Abstract classes for common tasks and
maintain standards across various charts.

Good luck