2.0 comptability with 1.1

Guest

Hi all,

I am writing a new app in VS 2005 and trying to using some assemblies that
are written in 1.1 and compiled and stored in the GAC. These assemblies work
fine because my 1.1 websites work fine. The problem is when I run the 2.0
website it comes back with:

Type 'MyCustom.Objects' is not defined.

I have added the imports statement in my code behind file for the namespace.
Any ideas?

TIA!

Guest

Ensure that a copy of the GAC'ed assembly is in your Output folder and try
setting a reference to it. If that doesn't work, you may need to recompile
new versions of your 1.1 assemblies under .NET 2.0
Peter

Guest

What is the "output" folder? If I copy that assembly into the BIN folder of
the 2.0 web app it works fine. But I shouldnt need to do that right?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Param,

I don't think we need to copy the assembly into private bin dir, also,
STRONG-NAMED assembly in private bin dir is not supported by ASP.NET
application.

For your scenario, version 1.1 component assembly can be installed in GAC
and be loaded by ASP.NET 2.0 application. I'm wondering whether the
assembly is referenced correctly in 2.0 web application. Just put the
"Import" or "Using" statement is not sufficient, to reference the assembly
in ASP.NET 2.0 application, make sure that you find the assembly reference
declaration in the web.config under the
system.web/compilation/assemblies element, e.g:

<compilation debug="true">
<assemblies>
<add assembly="System.Web.RegularExpressions, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
<add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/></assemblies></compilation>

If anything is unclear or if you have any other questions, please feel free
to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: 2.0 comptability with 1.1
| Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:32:07 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| What is the "output" folder? If I copy that assembly into the BIN folder
of
| the 2.0 web app it works fine. But I shouldnt need to do that right?

message
| | > Ensure that a copy of the GAC'ed assembly is in your Output folder and
try
| > setting a reference to it. If that doesn't work, you may need to
recompile
| > new versions of your 1.1 assemblies under .NET 2.0
| > Peter
| >
| > --
| > Co-founder, Eggheadcafe.com developer portal:
| > http://www.eggheadcafe.com
| > UnBlog:
| > http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
| >

| > "(e-mail address removed)" wrote:
| >
| >> Hi all,
| >>
| >> I am writing a new app in VS 2005 and trying to using some assemblies
| >> that
| >> are written in 1.1 and compiled and stored in the GAC. These
assemblies
| >> work
| >> fine because my 1.1 websites work fine. The problem is when I run the
2.0
| >> website it comes back with:
| >>
| >> Type 'MyCustom.Objects' is not defined.
| >>
| >> I have added the imports statement in my code behind file for the
| >> namespace.
| >> Any ideas?
| >>
| >> TIA!

Guest

Adding the lines to web.config worked. Was this not a requirement for 1.1
web apps? I have never had to do it before.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Param,

Yes, declare assembly reference in web.config is the new behavior in
ASP.NET 2.0, since we don't have a project main assembly which will
reference all the other dependent assemblies...., all the assembly
references will be recorded in the web.config's compilation\assembleis
element.... Also, you can find that when you use VS 2005 ide to add a
reference for a certain assembly in ASP.NET 2.0 project(website), IDE will
help you add the entry in web.config.....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: 2.0 comptability with 1.1
| Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:08:11 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Adding the lines to web.config worked. Was this not a requirement for 1.1
| web apps? I have never had to do it before.
|

| | > Hi Param,
| >
| > I don't think we need to copy the assembly into private bin dir, also,
| > STRONG-NAMED assembly in private bin dir is not supported by ASP.NET
| > application.
| >
| > For your scenario, version 1.1 component assembly can be installed in
GAC
| > and be loaded by ASP.NET 2.0 application. I'm wondering whether the
| > assembly is referenced correctly in 2.0 web application. Just put the
| > "Import" or "Using" statement is not sufficient, to reference the
assembly
| > in ASP.NET 2.0 application, make sure that you find the assembly
reference
| > declaration in the web.config under the
| > system.web/compilation/assemblies element, e.g:
| >
| > <compilation debug="true">
| > <assemblies>
| > <add assembly="System.Web.RegularExpressions, Version=2.0.0.0,
| > Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
| > <add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
| > PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/></assemblies></compilation>
| >
| > If anything is unclear or if you have any other questions, please feel
| > free
| > to post here.
| >
| > Regards,
| >

| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: 2.0 comptability with 1.1
| > | Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:32:07 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | What is the "output" folder? If I copy that assembly into the BIN
folder
| > of
| > | the 2.0 web app it works fine. But I shouldnt need to do that right?
| > |
| > message
| > try
| > recompile