  1. Jen

    Jen Guest

    I have a web service that used to deliver around 1000-2000 results when called. Requirements have changed and now the results will contain 60,000 - 100,000 records from an Oracle database. I suspect web service may no longer be the best option. What are some other ideas for delivering the data for use in remote web applications? FTP???
    Jen, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Jen

    Joe Duffy Guest

    There's nothing inherent in web services which makes the serialization and
    transfer of 60-100k records impossible, but certainly within some contexts
    it just won't work. Certainly if bandwidth and transfer time are at a
    premium, for instance, XML might be bloating your payload meaning you might
    be better off with a binary serialization format.

    However, it all comes back to the context within which your solution is
    required to function. Is this a transactional-based application?
    Batch/schedule? Are you working within limited time or data transfer
    constraints? How large are your "records"?

    Answering these types of questions might help to identify better solutions.

    <joe/>

    Joe Duffy, Apr 10, 2004