60,000+ Records/Better Approach

Jen

I have a web service that used to deliver around 1000-2000 results when called. Requirements have changed and now the results will contain 60,000 - 100,000 records from an Oracle database. I suspect web service may no longer be the best option. What are some other ideas for delivering the data for use in remote web applications? FTP???

Joe Duffy

There's nothing inherent in web services which makes the serialization and
transfer of 60-100k records impossible, but certainly within some contexts
it just won't work. Certainly if bandwidth and transfer time are at a
premium, for instance, XML might be bloating your payload meaning you might
be better off with a binary serialization format.

However, it all comes back to the context within which your solution is
required to function. Is this a transactional-based application?
Batch/schedule? Are you working within limited time or data transfer
constraints? How large are your "records"?

Answering these types of questions might help to identify better solutions.

<joe/>