Access is Denied error debugging ASP.NET

Don Hans

Gents,

Have .Net2003 Enterprise architect installed on a Win2k Server with IIS.

Even logged in as administrator, I cannot run any ASP.NET app with
debugging. I always get the error "Unable to start debugger on the web
server: Access is Denied" when attempting to start the app with debugging.

Now, I have already spent 3 days going through every Knowledge base article
and all the included help with .net, have tried about 50 different security
settings and other changes suggested by these articles, and I cannot seem to
solve this problem. Bit of MAJOR frustration, as I would expect that the
default install should allow debugging (it IS a development environment), at
least on the server that is running IIS.

The server is a PDC, Win2K Sp6,and has the latest .NET installed from the
MSDN downloads

HELP!

Elliot M. Rodriguez

Don:

These items are not installed by default, if i remember correctly. You have
to select the Remote Components Installation from Disc 1 of the installation
discs. It will appear as a link when the splash screen comes up after you
insert the disc.

Selecting this will bring up an HTML page with instructions on installing
the debuggers. Note this is only required if youre doing debugging on a
machine that you are not working on (NOT your localhost, but your remote
development machine).

HTH

Don Hans

Thx for the reply.

I am installing from a MSDN download - dont know if it is different from the
CDs, but in the selection options indicate that "Full Remote Debugging" is
installed by default. Although I see the HTM page that indicates you can do
it manually, I reasonably sure it is installed.

In addition, I dont think it matters in this case, as I am acutally
developing (for the time being ON the server that is running IIS (not
remotely).

Don Hans

Fixed the problem.

Although it did not give the error message indicated in the article, the fix
detailed in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 827559 fixed this problem.

Thanks for the help