ActiveX

Peter

ASP.NET 1.1 + IE

I have the following code

this.butCreateLetter.Attributes.Add("onClick", "return CreateLetter();");

This code Excecutes the following JScript

function CreateLetter()
{

var objWord = new ActiveXObject("Word.Application");
objWord.Visible = true;

}

On my desktop everything works ok, but on my laptop Word loads into memory,
but never shows up on the screen and on my desktop I get prompted to Allow
ActiveX control, but on my laptop I do not get any prompts, and no error
messages and no Word on the screen.

Is there a setting in IE that has to be set, I compared IE settings on both
systems and they appear to be the same.

Both systems are runnig XP Pro SP2. IE -
6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

I think you may try to check the IE security setting on your laptop via the
steps below.
1. On the IE windows, click Tools/Internet Options...
2. Click Security Tab, there will be four zones,Internet,Local Intranet,
Trusted sites, Restricted sites
If we did not know which zone will the destination web site be located in,
we can test one by one.
3. Select Internet
4. Click Custom Level
5. In the Reset to dropdownbox, select Low and click the button Reset and
click OK. In this way, we will degrate the IE security level which will
grant the ActiveX controls more permisson.
6. close the IE and reopen the web site with ActiveX
7. If that did not work, please repeat the steps 3-6 to test the other
zones(Local Intranet, Trusted sites, Restricted sites) one by one.

Also here is a link for your reference.

909738 A Web page that contains a custom ActiveX control may not load as
expected in Internet Explorer due to defense in depth changes introduced in
cumulative security update 896688 (MS05-052)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;909738

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Peter

"Peter Huang" said:
[...]

Thank you for your help

Once I set the "Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as save"
to Prompt on the Local intranet zone everything worked

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

I appreciate your update and response, and I am glad to hear that the
problem has been resovled.

If you need more information or assistance with this issue please let me
know and I will be happy to help you.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!