Address Bar Icon

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Aaron Keller, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Aaron Keller

    Aaron Keller Guest

    I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
    of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
    I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
    help me out?
     
    Aaron Keller, Jul 6, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. David Dorward, Jul 6, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Aaron Keller

    Amos E Wolfe Guest

    "Aaron Keller" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
    > of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
    > I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
    > help me out?


    Add the following line in the <head> of your html document:

    <link rel="shortcut icon"
    href="http://www.wherrylines.org.uk/images/wherry.ico">

    I found a handy utility called BMP2ICO which created .ico (windows icon)
    files by importing an easily creatable bitmap.

    -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-
     
    Amos E Wolfe, Jul 6, 2004
    #3
  4. Aaron Keller

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:50:21 +0000 (UTC), "Amos E Wolfe"
    <> wrote:

    : "Aaron Keller" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
    : > of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
    : > I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
    : > help me out?
    :
    : Add the following line in the <head> of your html document:
    :
    : <link rel="shortcut icon"
    : href="http://www.wherrylines.org.uk/images/wherry.ico">
    :
    : I found a handy utility called BMP2ICO which created .ico (windows icon)
    : files by importing an easily creatable bitmap.
    :
    : -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-
    :


    Irfanview can make icons too - the OP should also read www.favicon.com

    Sid
     
    Sid Ismail, Jul 6, 2004
    #4

  5. >From: (Sid Ismail)
    >Irfanview can make icons too - the OP
    >should also read www.favicon.com


    Thanks for that info, I downloaded IrfanView and used it to change the
    file type of my 16x16 Image (which I made at Image Magick) to .ico
    format...

    I now have the Favicons on many of my pages and they seem to work for
    IE, NN, Mozilla and Opera...

    Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
    http://www.davmagic.com
    Paint A House
    http://www.paintahouse.com
    NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!
     
    Davmagic .Com, Jul 7, 2004
    #5
  6. Aaron Keller

    kate.simpson Guest

    I think that you can do a search on google.com for, "favicon," and find a
    free program to help you create that..

    Good times,
    Ginae!
    http://www.ginae.us

    "Aaron Keller" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
    > of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
    > I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
    > help me out?
    >
     
    kate.simpson, Jul 10, 2004
    #6
  7. Aaron Keller

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:08:55 GMT, "kate.simpson"
    <> wrote:

    >I think that you can do a search on google.com for, "favicon," and find a
    >free program to help you create that..
    >
    >Good times,
    >Ginae!
    >http://www.ginae.us
    >
    >"Aaron Keller" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
    >> of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
    >> I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
    >> help me out?
    >>


    There's a program called Miconangelo or similar which will let you
    create an icon.gif. You bung it in your root directory and you're
    done. As I recall.

    BB
     
    Big Bill, Jul 10, 2004
    #7
  8. Aaron Keller

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:01:28 GMT, Big Bill <> wrote:

    : There's a program called Miconangelo or similar which will let you
    : create an icon.gif. You bung it in your root directory and you're
    : done. As I recall.


    "...or similar..." "... As I recall."

    Hehe - you sure of that?

    Sid
     
    Sid Ismail, Jul 10, 2004
    #8
  9. Davmagic .Com, Jul 10, 2004
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Matt
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    3,604
  2. John Hann
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    6,170
    John Hann
    Aug 21, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=

    How can i add an icon file to the Address Bar (Without bookmarkin

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=, Oct 1, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,901
    Matt Berther
    Oct 1, 2004
  4. Matt
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    71,254
  5. Matt
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    650
    kaeli
    Aug 23, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page