All My FAQs revisited

Alan J. Flavell

Do both!
Good point. I've set up a rewrite that redirects all requests on the
.org domain (with 301)

Good call.
to the .net domain.

It's not my domain to choose, so I won't say anything one way or the
other about your choice of primary name; but be sure to promote the
one that you chose, and keep quiet about the others. That way,
they'll capture any strays who hit the alternative sitenames, but
won't unnecessarily dilute the site's ranking, as I understand it.

Stan Brown

By the way, in terms of Google, there are 4 domains we're dealing with:

http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/
http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
http://www.allmyfaqs.org/

I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one), and
discourage the use of all others.

Is there any harm to publicizing the canonical one, and having the
server send out redirects for the others? IIRC, that will be search-
engine friendly.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you

John Bokma

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Duende quothed:

Be kind! My first house was a cave upon whose walls I painted many a
centerfold.

So it's you I have to thank :p

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Duende quothed:

Be kind! My first house was a cave upon whose walls I painted
many a centerfold.

And I didn't even know one could fold stone. Sometimes I feel so
out of touch.

John Bokma

Blinky the Shark said:
And I didn't even know one could fold stone.

Yeah, sadly stone nowadays isn't made like back in the old days, *sigh*

You should have seen the origami people made out of granite.

With their bare hands, mind.

Blinky the Shark

John said:
Yeah, sadly stone nowadays isn't made like back in the old days,
*sigh*

You should have seen the origami people made out of granite.

Believe it or not, I was thinking about stone origami when I wrote
my reply. :)
With their bare hands, mind.

They were a hardy lot.

Stewart Gordon

Kim said:
Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.

The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
the one you feel most comfortable with.

http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/

I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly (it's now
read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net domain above).
<snip>

Why is this? Are you still working on getting the edit facility to work
properly, or what?

Stewart.

--

the 'group where everyone may benefit.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Stewart said:
<snip>

Why is this? Are you still working on getting the edit facility to
work properly, or what?

According to the Internet Wayback Machine, the site hasn't been updated
since January 2003, so I thought it wasn't necessary to enable the
editing module quite yet. The way I see it, the integrity of the
current site is fine as it is. There aren't many corrections needed to
be done, and I might as well make these changes myself based on input
from visitors and newsgroup posters (with fact-checking, of course).

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
Akerø finally proclaimed:
According to the Internet Wayback Machine, the site hasn't been updated
since January 2003

Well it's wrong... The page I asked you to remove said that I was still
at Uni, but I actually updated that page to say something else after I
had finished (last year).

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Kim André Akerø said:
According to the Internet Wayback Machine, the site hasn't been updated
since January 2003,

The reason for this is because when we were hosting it, we discovered that
the script used to power the site was insecure. It was allowing anyone,
with malicious intent, to run code that could bring down the server. Patch
the script and you should be fine.

--Tina

Charles Sweeney

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc. wrote
The reason for this is because when we were hosting it, we discovered
that the script used to power the site was insecure. It was allowing
anyone, with malicious intent, to run code that could bring down the
server. Patch the script and you should be fine.

--Tina

Evening Mrs P. Hope you had a fab turkey day. Hope all is well with you
and your latest ventures.

?

Tina said:
(it's >>> now read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net
domain >>> above).

The reason for this is because when we were hosting it, we discovered
that the script used to power the site was insecure. It was allowing
anyone, with malicious intent, to run code that could bring down the
server. Patch the script and you should be fine.

Ah, well. I was planning on rewriting the entire solution behind the
site at some point anyway.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, John Bokma quothed:
So it's you I have to thank :p

Yeah, but my wife made me stop. She said they were tacky. I said, "No,
they dry overnight." We moved right after the buxom blonde in the beige
bolero burst onto the scene, -the one in the bathroom above where the
hamper used to be.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
And I didn't even know one could fold stone. Sometimes I feel so
out of touch.

As you think you're a fish, that's no particular surprise.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

As you think you're a fish, that's no particular surprise.

<blink>

I never thought of that.

JD

Kim said:
Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.

The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
the one you feel most comfortable with.

http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/

I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly (it's now
read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net domain above).
I know that some of the internal links are absolute (in which case they
point to the .net domain above).

Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed.

On JavaScript FAQs -> Determine window size

[ http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Determine_window_size ]

"An example of this can be seen [here]" link is broken.

jerry

Check the UseMod site for an upgrade. The latest versions have a number
of additional access and security options.

---- Jerry