animated gif

Mike

I cut and pasted an animated gif off of my website that I had made and
when i opened up this file on my computer and viewed it with Explorer,
I could not view the source code (this option on the pull down menu was
dimmed). Anyone know why??

Thanks,
Mike

Jonathan N. Little

Mike said:
I cut and pasted an animated gif off of my website that I had made and
when i opened up this file on my computer and viewed it with Explorer,
I could not view the source code (this option on the pull down menu was
dimmed). Anyone know why??

Because a GIF is a binary file, view source is for textual data.

mbstevens

Jonathan said:
Because a GIF is a binary file, view source is for textual data.

The op needs to download a hex editor that gives several different
views of the file. Ghex and Khexedit are on my machine. I don't
remember what's available for Windows, but I do remember using one often
years ago. I'm thinking maybe one came with the Borland compilers or
Norton Utilities. To make sense of what's going on, info on the .gif
file formats will also be needed.

Jonathan N. Little

mbstevens said:
The op needs to download a hex editor that gives several different
views of the file. Ghex and Khexedit are on my machine. I don't
remember what's available for Windows, but I do remember using one often
years ago. I'm thinking maybe one came with the Borland compilers or
Norton Utilities. To make sense of what's going on, info on the .gif
file formats will also be needed.
NU's Diskedit, WinBrowse (viewer only), HexPert...

granpaw

The op needs to download a hex editor that gives several different
views of the file. Ghex and Khexedit are on my machine. I don't
remember what's available for Windows, but I do remember using one often
years ago. I'm thinking maybe one came with the Borland compilers or
Norton Utilities. To make sense of what's going on, info on the .gif
file formats will also be needed.

IrfanView will read the hex..and it's freeware.
http://www.irfanview.com/
I think this is a good link
hope this helps.
granpaw