[ANN] Arachno Ruby 0.6 for Windows

Lothar Scholz

Hello,

i'm happy to tell you that there is a new 0.6.0 release of the Arachno Ruby IDE
for Windows. Previous 0.5.X (with X > 6) releases were only unofficial interims
releases announced to some customers. A Linux version will follow at the end of week.

The installation file is available from http://www.ruby-ide.com/ruby/download.php

The 0.6.0 release fixes about 5 different fatal bugs, and a very annoying
non fatal repaint bug that left large parts of a window empty when
switching back to Arachno from another application (this seemd to happened only on
windows).

0.6.0 contains a Ruby Gem Browser and RDOC/RI integration. The later is displayed
either via its own http server (started in the background by Arachno) or with the
Ruby Class Browser.

The functionality is integrated as much as possible into the design of Arachno.
For example whenever you add a RubyGem to your project the RDOC/RI data will
also automatically added. It is also possible to manually start generation of
these data by using the context menu in the filebrowser or with the dialog
that comes up when you choose the "Tools > RDoc and RI > Manage Documentation Directories"
menu item.

There are at least 3 key shortcuts worth learning:

a) Control-F1 puts up rdoc documentation for the current project
directory tree.
b) Control-Shift-F1 runs rdoc on the current project directory tree
and so updates the database.
c) Control-P Control-D is the shortcut for "pick documentation" and is
a very convenient way to display documentation for a ruby method.

Unfortunately the implementation took longer then expected, as an attempt to
port the TkHTML widget to FOX failed and the class browser documentation
window had to be written from scratch. So i'm sorry for the long time without updates.

The next development iteration for version 0.7 will go into a revision of the editor
and some fine tuning of the current functionality. Don't expect many new features in
the next 2 month. This version will then also contain documentation, as many things
are now stable enough.

After this, for 0.8 a major enhancement to the debugger is planned. Special hacks
for Rails/Webrick development will be added to the debugger and it will finally
be possible to start an irb like shell from the debugger. This shell will also
be available all the time during your development so that you can develop more
interactively with Arachno Ruby. Planned release date for this is around christmas.

There will be some interims releases for customers and interested beta testers.

Alexandru Popescu

#: Lothar Scholz changed the world a bit at a time by saying on 8/2/2005 11:51 PM :#
[...]

Excellent new Lothar! I am right now jumping to it.

:alex |.::the_mindstorm::.|

Jaroslaw Zabiello

i'm happy to tell you that there is a new 0.6.0 release of the Arachno Ruby IDE
for Windows. Previous 0.5.X (with X > 6) releases were only unofficial interims
releases announced to some customers. A Linux version will follow at the end of week.

It looks excelent but it is lacks utf-8 support... :(

Jaroslaw Zabiello

i'm happy to tell you that there is a new 0.6.0 release of the Arachno Ruby IDE
for Windows. Previous 0.5.X (with X > 6) releases were only unofficial interims
releases announced to some customers. A Linux version will follow at the end of week.

It looks excelent but it lacks utf-8 support... It cannot display correctly
any non-latin1 characters... :(

Lothar Scholz

Hello Jaroslaw,

JZ> It looks excelent but it lacks utf-8 support... It cannot display correctly
JZ> any non-latin1 characters... :(

Not yet, but FOX 1.6 is coming closer and so does full unicode
support. I think that this problem can be solved soon then. The
mentioned development iteration over the editor in the next 2 month
was planned exactly for this reason: looking for pitfalls when
switching to UTF8 internally and make any necessary changes right now.

Lothar Scholz

Hello ,

LS> i'm happy to tell you that there is a new 0.6.0 release of the Arachno Ruby IDE
LS> for Windows. Previous 0.5.X (with X > 6) releases were only unofficial interims
LS> releases announced to some customers. A Linux version will follow at the end of week.

LS> The installation file is available from
LS> http://www.ruby-ide.com/ruby/download.php

I just updated it to 0.6.1 as there were two bugs introduced.

One is now fixed and the other one surrounded with so much debugging code
that hope i can fix it the next time it occurs (which does not
happen often and is completely unreproducable)

Christoph Sturm

Hey lothar!

Hello ,
=20
LS> i'm happy to tell you that there is a new 0.6.0 release of the Arach= no Ruby IDE
LS> for Windows. Previous 0.5.X (with X > 6) releases were only unofficia= l interims
LS> releases announced to some customers. A Linux version will follow at=
the end of week.

where can i find this linux version? is it already available?

-chris

Lothar Scholz

Hello Benedikt,

BH> Hmmm... You mean, the page where it (still) says "version 0.5.6"? :-/

Yes. 0.5.6 is still the latest for Linux.

As this is more Freeware then a demo version (no restrictions, no expire)
i wait with the next release for linux until i figured out how i want to
implement the license/demo schema.