[ANN] EZ install for RMagick on OS X

Tim Hunter

With the help of several good folks I've been able to come up a new,
simplified process for installing RMagick on OS X using MacPorts. It's
basically a 3-step process:

1) install MacPorts (if you haven't already),
2) install ImageMagick using MacPorts,
3) install RMagick using RubyGems.

Yes, you still have to use Terminal, but you only have to enter 2 commands.

Check it out here: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html

For the MacPorts-averse (and I know you're out there!) you can use the
rmagick-osx-installer script available on RubyForge:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/.

John Joyce

With the help of several good folks I've been able to come up a
new, simplified process for installing RMagick on OS X using
MacPorts. It's basically a 3-step process:

1) install MacPorts (if you haven't already),
2) install ImageMagick using MacPorts,
3) install RMagick using RubyGems.

Yes, you still have to use Terminal, but you only have to enter 2
commands.

Check it out here: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html

For the MacPorts-averse (and I know you're out there!) you can use
the rmagick-osx-installer script available on RubyForge: http://
rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/.
Tim, thanks for keeping the non-macPorts version around!
As long as I'm on Tiger, I'll keep using that when I need to.

If (and unless there are some big changes, it's a BIG if ) I adopt
Leopard, I'll probably move towards MacPorts for things, and at this
time I recommend people use MacPorts with Leopard! (for now, for
early adopters and until the Leopard dust has settled and more
resources are available, like Dan Benjamin's new tutorial
(hivelogic), unless you're adventurous as sin)

Myself, Leopard is a big disappointment and frustration in many ways,
so much so, that I might consider moving to Linux full time...

Julian Raschke

Tim, thanks for keeping the non-macPorts version around!
As long as I'm on Tiger, I'll keep using that when I need to.

I don't think MacPorts is any less valuable on Tiger. In fact, I'm
writing this on my Tiger iBook (can't switch to Leopard until Java6
arrives), and I kind of regret installing everythinb by hand. I have
like three versions of everything around and would never dare to
actually uninstall or update anything :)
If (and unless there are some big changes, it's a BIG if ) I adopt
Leopard...

There are no big changes, but I think they did a great job at fixing/
improving all the little things. The only big change I hoped for after
Tiger would have been a built-in MacPorts and a tie-in into Software
Update for third-party .apps, and hopefully this is something that
Jobs plans for 10.6. Except that, OS X *is* already pretty good, so I
can't blame anyone for not reinventing the wheel with 10.5.
Now if it just wasn't so damn ugly :(

Julian

Michael Guterl

With the help of several good folks I've been able to come up a new,
simplified process for installing RMagick on OS X using MacPorts. It's
basically a 3-step process:

1) install MacPorts (if you haven't already),
2) install ImageMagick using MacPorts,
3) install RMagick using RubyGems.

Yes, you still have to use Terminal, but you only have to enter 2
commands.

Check it out here: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html

For the MacPorts-averse (and I know you're out there!) you can use the
rmagick-osx-installer script available on RubyForge:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/.

I just installed with this method on my new MacBook with Leopard and
everything went extremely smooth.

Thanks,
Michael Guterl