[ANN] FreeRIDE 0.8.0 Released!

Curt Hibbs

On Behalf Of Laurent Julliard:

Version 0.8.0 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!

For details and downloads, go to:

http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

This release prevides a lot of fixes that improve FreeRIDE usability.
A bunch of new features are also available:

- Editor preferences (font, colors, behaviour...) can be tuned to your
liking

- A linux installer is now available! Like the Windows installer it
comes with its own version Ruby (1.8.2-preview2) that will not
interfere with your installed version as well as the FOX, FXRuby,
FXScintilla and assorted libraries. So you don't have to install
anything else and it will also ease support as we control what version
of those libraries FreeRIDE is using.

=== FreeRIDE Overview ===

FreeRIDE aims to be a full-featured, first-class IDE on a par with
those available for other languages, with all the best-of-breed
features that you would expect in a high-end IDE.

Some of FreeRIDE's features include:

* Multi-file editing
* Syntax highlighting
* Auto-indenting
* Code Folding
* Source navigation by module, class, method, etc.
* Integrated debugging
* Written in Ruby for easy extension

Some planned features include:
* Full internationalization
* High-end refactoring support
* Remote pair programming

In its current state, FreeRIDE cannot yet be called a real IDE. What
is does have is a stable infrastructure with all the working plumbing
needed for the hordes of anxious Ruby developers that want to create
plugins to extend the functionality of FreeRIDE. The FreeRIDE team
will be working on such FreeRIDE plugins that we will individually
release to incrementally improve the FreeRIDE system. Periodically we
will rollup these added plugins into new releases of FreeRIDE.

Even if you have not officially joined the FreeRIDE team you can still
create plugins for you own use, share them with others, or send them
to us and we will make them available for download from our project
wiki. We may even ask for your permission to include them in the
FreeRIDE core distribution.

Laurent JULLIARD
Xerox Global Services
Manager, XGS Development Grenoble