[ANN] Potential Brit ruby meeting formally Chunky Bacon

Cameron, Gemma (UK)

Head count for who'd be up for a meeting and where you currently hang
your hat please:

Gem - Preston
Peter Hickman - Brighton
Spooq - London

And any topics to discuss:
HP sauce and Chunky Bacon (see previous thread for details)
Good ruby resources
Possible Gems to develop (not me!)
Ruby usage at work... Or "Wearing Ruby Slippers to Work" (better than
bring your dog to work day)

Tom Armitage

If you're in London, don't forget the existence of LRUG
(http://lrug.org). Which is a) great and b) friendly, especially on
the mailing list. And not all the LRUGgers are based in London either,
so they might be interested in stuff outside it.

t.

Dave Verwer

Cameron said:
Head count for who'd be up for a meeting and where you currently hang
your hat please:

I would be up for a meeting but if you are in Preston or anywhere in the
North West of England you also might be interested in the North West
Ruby User Group[1] which is a regular meeting that already happens every
month in Manchester.

The next meeting is on the 14th Nov at the B-Lounge in Manchester[2] and
you would be more than welcome. We also run a mailing list for the North
West and occasional other events[3].

More details at the NWRUG site[3].

[1] - http://nwrug.org/
[2] - http://upcoming.org/event/117533/
[3] - http://geekup.org/rubyandrails/

Paul Robinson

Head count for who'd be up for a meeting and where you currently hang
your hat please:

Gem - Preston
Peter Hickman - Brighton
Spooq - London

Paul Robinson: Manchester

I'd imagine a large proportion of the entire North West Ruby User
Group: The North West, with a concentration around Manchester thanks
to GeekUp. Can do a headcount over there if you want?
And any topics to discuss:
HP sauce and Chunky Bacon (see previous thread for details)

I'm vegetarian. So it's Chunky Quorn Bacon-style Slices for me. :-D
Good ruby resources

Democratic Republic of Congo. Oh, you didn't mean that type of Ruby...
Possible Gems to develop (not me!)

Where to start? Look at CPAN, look at Rubyforge, subtract one from
the other and you have a list of candidates, I suppose...
Ruby usage at work... Or "Wearing Ruby Slippers to Work" (better than
bring your dog to work day)

100% of my code at work is now Ruby. Advantage of being your own
boss. :)

Peter Hickman

Paul said:
Where to start? Look at CPAN, look at Rubyforge, subtract one from the
other and you have a list of candidates, I suppose...
Although I am the first to point out the advantages of CPAN and bemoan
the lack of such a resource in other languages playing catchup to CPAN
is just plain crazy. You will always be behind the game. Rails is
however a very good example of the sort of thing that can spread the
awareness of Ruby.

Jeremy Wells

Cameron said:
Head count for who'd be up for a meeting and where you currently hang
your hat please:

Gem - Preston
Peter Hickman - Brighton
Spooq - London
Jeremy - Gatwick
And any topics to discuss:
HP sauce and Chunky Bacon (see previous thread for details)
Good ruby resources
Possible Gems to develop (not me!)
I think it'd be good to have a good svg builder based on xml builder.
I've not seen an intuitive svg gem.
Ruby usage at work... Or "Wearing Ruby Slippers to Work" (better than
bring your dog to work day)
We're now developing all our new systems in ruby and on rails.

rik

Cameron said:
Head count for who'd be up for a meeting and where you currently hang
your hat please:

rik - London or Manchester - I can be at either, but I'd prefer late
Friday or at the weekend, if oop norf is chosen, due to working dahn
sarf.
And any topics to discuss:
HP sauce and Chunky Bacon (see previous thread for details)

I'm sure that needs a wrapper of some variety.

Possible Gems to develop (not me!)

Something that makes working with XML more appealing than gouging my
eyes out with a rusty spoon. A port of JDOM or DOM4J, for example. I
would take this on as something to do.