ANN: Resolver One 1.1 released

Giles Thomas

We are proud to announce the release of Resolver One, version 1.1 -
the largest IronPython application in the world, we think, at 38,000
lines of production code backed up by 130,000 lines of unit and
functional tests.

Resolver One is a Rapid Application Development tool for analysing and
presenting business data using a familiar spreadsheet interface,
combined with a powerful IronPython-based scripting capability that
allows you to insert your own code directly into the recalculation
loop. There's a one-minute screencast about it here:

<http://www.resolversystems.com/screencasts/resolver-one-in-one>

For version 1.1 , we’ve made quite a lot of changes, hopefully making
the program more responsive and pleasant to use - as well as adding
cool new features. Some of the highlights:

* Significant improvements to performance and memory usage.
* Cutting and pasting is now more "spreadsheet-like".
* User-defined formatter functions on a per-cell basis.
* Ability to "unpack" Python iterables into ranges of cells.
* Auto-indent in the code editor.
* Better coverage of standard spreadsheet functions.
* Comments in cells.
* For the financial edition, we've added Thomson Dataworks
Enterprise connectivity and a number of great enhancements to
Bloomberg access.

We’ve put together a three-minute screencast outlining all these
changes:

<http://www.resolversystems.com/screencasts/release-1.1/>

It's free for non-commercial use (and quite cheap for commercial
use :), so if you would like to take a look, you can download it from
our website (free registration required):

<http://www.resolversystems.com/get-it/>

Best regards,

Giles

--
Giles Thomas
MD & CTO, Resolver Systems Ltd.

Try out Resolver One! <http://www.resolversystems.com/get-it/>
(Free registration required)

17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79 Registered in England and Wales as company
number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK

Stefan Behnel

Giles said:
We are proud to announce the release of Resolver One, version 1.1 -
the largest IronPython application in the world, we think, at 38,000
lines of production code backed up by 130,000 lines of unit and
functional tests.

Is it really IronPython specific code or would it run on standard Python?

Stefan

Giles Thomas

Stefan said:
Is it really IronPython specific code or would it run on standard Python?

It's really IronPython-specific, which is both a blessing - there's a
suprising amount of really good .NET classes out there and it's great
to be
able to script them using Python from a grid-based environment - and
curse, because we lose the cross-platform capabilities and the C
extensions
like numpy.

We're working on sorting out the latter with a project called Ironclad
(<http://www.resolversystems.com/documentation/index.php/IronClad>)
which
aims to get C extensions working in IronPython.

For the cross-platform stuff, in the longer term we hope to be
Mono-compatible and so be able to support Linux and the Mac.

All the best,

Giles