[ANN] Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dave Thomas, Dec 13, 2007.

  1. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to =20
    create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce =20=

    that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.

    The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3

    Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going =20=

    through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120 =20
    pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages =20
    with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are =20=

    updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second =20
    edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book =20=

    is done.

    Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will =20
    track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we =20
    move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has =20=

    stabilized.

    We=92re experimenting with something different for this book. With all =20=

    our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has =20=

    to be bought again. With this edition, we=92re offering substantial =20
    discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or =20=

    PDFs were bought from us).

    To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the =20
    books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log =20
    in to your existing account) on http://pragprog.com. You'll find =20
    buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

    Enjoy

    Dave Thomas
    Dave Thomas, Dec 13, 2007

  2. Dave Thomas

    Ben Mabey Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:
    > Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
    > create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
    > that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.
    >
    > The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3
    >
    > Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going
    > through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120
    > pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages
    > with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are
    > updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second
    > edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book
    > is done.
    >
    > Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will
    > track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we
    > move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has
    > stabilized.
    >
    > We’re experimenting with something different for this book. With all
    > our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has
    > to be bought again. With this edition, we’re offering substantial
    > discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or
    > PDFs were bought from us).
    >
    > To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the
    > books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log in
    > to your existing account) on http://pragprog.com. You'll find buttons
    > on your account page which let you buy at a discount.
    >

    > Enjoy
    >

    > Dave Thomas

    Did you mean:

    http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

    and not

    http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3?

    Thanks, this looks great.

    -Ben
    Ben Mabey, Dec 13, 2007

  3. On 12/13/07, Dave Thomas <> wrote:
    > Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
    > create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
    > that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.
    >
    > The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3

    Ahem.. Is this a Freudian typo? That URL just redirects to
    http://pragprog.com/titles

    The real url is
    http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3

    > We're experimenting with something different for this book. With all
    > our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has
    > to be bought again. With this edition, we're offering substantial
    > discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or
    > PDFs were bought from us).
    >
    > To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the
    > books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log
    > in to your existing account) on http://pragprog.com. You'll find
    > buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

    Oh no! My dog-eared copy of the 2nd edition was bought from a local
    merchant of dead tree products. Doesn't make me any less a loyal
    customer. ;-(

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
    Rick DeNatale, Dec 13, 2007
  4. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    Dave Thomas, Dec 13, 2007
  5. Dave Thomas

    Ken Bloom Guest

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:07:34 -0500, Rick DeNatale wrote:

    > On 12/13/07, Dave Thomas <> wrote:
    >> Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
    >> create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
    >> that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.
    >>
    >> The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3

    > Ahem.. Is this a Freudian typo? That URL just redirects to
    > http://pragprog.com/titles
    >
    > The real url is
    > http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3

    I think you just fell down a Freudian staircase. That just corrected an
    incorrect URL by posting the same URL.

    --Ken

    http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/
    Ken Bloom, Dec 14, 2007
  6. On 12/13/07, Ken Bloom <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:07:34 -0500, Rick DeNatale wrote:

    > > Ahem.. Is this a Freudian typo? That URL just redirects to
    > > http://pragprog.com/titles
    > >
    > > The real url is
    > > http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3

    > I think you just fell down a Freudian staircase. That just corrected an
    > incorrect URL by posting the same URL.

    Probably because I've been re-reading "Goedel, Escher, Bach" lately.
    Another strange loop. <G>

    Rick DeNatale, Dec 14, 2007
  7. Dave Thomas

    Marc Heiler Guest

    Re: Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

    Hopefully you guys can add some extra helpful pages especially about the
    Ruby-C bridge. For me this would be the most interesting aspect for
    various reasons.
    Marc Heiler, Dec 14, 2007
  8. Dave Thomas

    mdiam Guest

    Re: Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta (Tk/Tile chapter)

    On Dec 14, 3:57 am, Marc Heiler <> wrote:
    > Hopefully you guys can add some extra helpful pages especially about the
    > Ruby-C bridge. For me this would be the most interesting aspect for
    > various reasons.

    And I also hope that the Tk chapter has been updated with new ttk
    (Tile widget)
    which is provide with the new Tk-8.5 version.
    The question is which from ruby-1.9 or tcl/tk-8.5 will be release
    first ??

    tcl/tk-8.5rc2 has just been released, so probably we'll have both
    ruby-1.9 and wish-8.5 for Christmas :)

    (should be another subject?...)
    I also hope that the ruby-tk gurus test the binding of the
    "to be realeased" Tk-8.5 against ruby-1.9.
    (I'd dream that the Tk toolkit **is** provided with ruby lib so that
    ruby
    would provide a GUI out of the box)
    mdiam, Dec 14, 2007
  9. Dave Thomas

    John Maclean Guest

    Does this book continue with the jukebox example?=20

    Regards,

    John Maclean
    MSc (DIC)
    +44 7739 171 531
    John Maclean, Dec 28, 2007
  10. On Dec 28, 2007 2:56 AM, John Maclean <> wrote:
    > Does this book continue with the jukebox example?

    Yes

    Rick DeNatale, Dec 28, 2007