[ANN] TTF/Ruby, first release!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mathieu Blondel, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. I am pleased to announce the first release (version 0.1) of TTF/Ruby,
    under the terms of the GNU GPL.

    TTF/Ruby is a pure Ruby library to read and write TrueType fonts.

    Tables supported are :

    - Cmap *
    - Cvt *
    - Fpgm *
    - Gasp
    - Glyf
    - Head
    - Hhea
    - Hmtx
    - Kern *
    - OS/2
    - Post *
    - Prep *
    - Vhea
    - Vmtx

    (Tables marked with an * are only partially supported)

    API documentation is written directly in the source code and may be
    generated with the following command-line:

    $ rdoc -main "Font::TTF::File"

    As you noticed, this release is marked 0.1 so do not expect API
    compatibility for the next releases.

    The tarball also ships some useful tools (and proofs of concept) based
    on TTF/Ruby.

    ttfdump: a command-line tool to extract informations about a font.

    ttfsubset: a tool which from a font and an input file generates a
    subset from this font containing only characters in the input file.
    Maybe useful to embed a lighter version of a font in a document or in
    an embedded system.

    ttfcairoglyphviewer: renders a selected glyph using Ruby/GTK, Rcairo
    and TTF/Ruby. It also displays markers for corner points, curve control
    points, and implicit points.

    ttfglyph2svg: prints to stdout a selected glyph in SVG format.

    Comments are of course welcome. And there is a large TODO list for the
    braves ;-)

    I would like to thank Evermore Software, China, where I am currently an
    intern, for giving me the permission to release this project (which
    started as a prototype for a Java program).

    Download: http://www.mblondel.org/files/ttf-ruby/ttf-ruby-0.1.tar.gz

    Mathieu Blondel, Nov 9, 2006

  2. On 11/9/06, Mathieu Blondel <> wrote:
    > I am pleased to announce the first release (version 0.1) of TTF/Ruby,
    > under the terms of the GNU GPL.
    >
    > TTF/Ruby is a pure Ruby library to read and write TrueType fonts.

    Hi, Mathieu. This looks great. I was wondering if it might be possible
    to convince your employers to relicense this under Ruby's licence,
    though. The reason I suggest this is that it will ultimately be more
    compatible with a larger group of Ruby programs. I would like to be
    able to provide hooks to this library in PDF::Writer, but I don't feel
    comfortable doing so under just the GNU GPL.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler * * http://www.halostatue.ca/
    * * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/

    Austin Ziegler, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Re: TTF/Ruby, first release!

    Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > Hi, Mathieu. This looks great. I was wondering if it might be possible
    > to convince your employers to relicense this under Ruby's licence,
    > though. The reason I suggest this is that it will ultimately be more
    > compatible with a larger group of Ruby programs. I would like to be
    > able to provide hooks to this library in PDF::Writer, but I don't feel
    > comfortable doing so under just the GNU GPL.

    Hi, Austin. It was agreed that from now on I own the copyright of this
    project since the company will never use it itself. So the licence is
    not an issue. I will use double licencing like Ruby. How do you plan to
    use it in PDF::Writer?

    Mathieu

    Mathieu Blondel, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Re: TTF/Ruby, first release!

    On 11/12/06, Mathieu Blondel <> wrote:
    > Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > > Hi, Mathieu. This looks great. I was wondering if it might be possible
    > > to convince your employers to relicense this under Ruby's licence,
    > > though. The reason I suggest this is that it will ultimately be more
    > > compatible with a larger group of Ruby programs. I would like to be
    > > able to provide hooks to this library in PDF::Writer, but I don't feel
    > > comfortable doing so under just the GNU GPL.

    > Hi, Austin. It was agreed that from now on I own the copyright of this
    > project since the company will never use it itself. So the licence is
    > not an issue. I will use double licencing like Ruby. How do you plan to
    > use it in PDF::Writer?

    I probably won't be using it for about six months or so (non-open
    source projects have to take precedence for right now), but one of the
    things that's problematic about PDF::Writer is that to use True Type
    fonts, you must have a font metrics file (.afm) usually generated by
    ttf2afm or something like that. So asking you to make it so that such
    an .afm could be generated by TTFRuby would be a very good first step.
    Ultimately, once I'm certain of exactly what data structure I need, I
    may ask you to make it so that I can call TTFRuby (if installed) to
    get the font metrics information for laying out the text using a
    TrueType (and hopefully OpenType) font.

    It's not quite where you are yet, but I'm as impressed for this
    because it was something I knew I'd have to tackle in the end.

    PDF::Writer is (and will remain) MIT-licensed, but I feel more
    comfortable with the Ruby dual-licensing on software that I will be
    using as a client ultimately.

    -austin

    Austin Ziegler, Nov 13, 2006