Any change I make to web.config gives server application unavailable error!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andy, Jun 8, 2007.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    If I open, edit and save the web.config file directly on the
    webserver, the
    web server becomes unavailable. When I reset IIS, I get the 'Server
    Application Unavailable' message appear for that web site. The change
    being
    made was minor, and worked locally.

    Restarting IIS or the server has no affect.
    Deleting the Temporary ASP.NET files has no effect.

    The only way to resolve it is to create an identical web site in IIS,
    pointing to exactly the same code, with the revised web.config.

    This has happened to me twice now.

    I am using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and asp.net 1.1.

    Any ideas? Thanks!
    Andy, Jun 8, 2007

  2. On Jun 8, 10:14 am, Andy <> wrote:
    > If I open, edit and save the web.config file directly on the
    > webserver, the
    > web server becomes unavailable. When I reset IIS, I get the 'Server
    > Application Unavailable' message appear for that web site. The change
    > being
    > made was minor, and worked locally.
    >
    > Restarting IIS or the server has no affect.
    > Deleting the Temporary ASP.NET files has no effect.
    >
    > The only way to resolve it is to create an identical web site in IIS,
    > pointing to exactly the same code, with the revised web.config.
    >
    > This has happened to me twice now.
    >
    > I am using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and asp.net 1.1.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks!

    maybe something with permissions on the web.config file?
    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 8, 2007

  3. Andy

    Shane Bauer Guest

    Hello andy,

    Do you have access to the Event Viewer? If so, there should be a message
    detailing the problem.

    Shane

    Shane Bauer, Jun 8, 2007
  4. Andy

    bruce barker Guest

    Re: Any change I make to web.config gives server application unavailableerror!

    most likely you have pages that reference each other without explicit
    reference directive on the page. during the local compile, if they are
    compiled in the same batch ok, else fail. this is because asp.net
    compiles several pages into the same dll (a batch), so pages that end up
    in the same batch can reference each other. if they end up in different
    dlls they can not unless an explicit reference is specified.

    you should check the application log to see the actual error.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jun 8, 2007
  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thanks everyone.

    There is nothing in the Application Log at all unfortunately

    I do have 2 aspx pages that reference the same code behind page -
    would that have an effect?

    Bruce could you elaborate on your suggestion, it sounds like a
    possibility..

    I have inherited this site, and although it is substantially better
    than it was, there is still some unusual stuff going on!

    Andy, Jun 12, 2007