Anybody give me a solution.

boss

I am using iframes.In each iframes I am using a html file(For
ex:header.html,footer.html..etc).
In that one of my html (Leftmenu.html)having a menu in tat each
menuitem having its indivual submenu on mouseover.

But the problem now is i am using iframes to fit all these (header and
footer..etc)in main.html.
To have tat sliding menu in (which is in leftmenu.html)in my main.html
i have to leave some extra spaces for the submenu.

I need a css solution to place my sliding submenus in main.jsp without
leaving a extra space,tat is the sliding submenu should come over the
<centerpage.html > frame.

my main.html is like below..

header.html

leftmenu.html centerpage.html rightmenu.html

footer.html

Thanks
Anand

is it possible?

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit boss:
I am using iframes.

The solution is to stop using them, independently of what you see as a
problem.
But the problem now is i am using iframes

OK, fine, so you do know what the problem is, so the solution suggests
itself. Drop unnecessary repetitive navigation. If problems remain, find
out how to use server-side technologies that do some kind of inclusion.

boss

Scripsit boss:

The solution is to stop using them, independently of what you see as a
problem.

OK, fine, so you do know what the problem is, so the solution suggests
itself. Drop unnecessary repetitive navigation. If problems remain, find
out how to use server-side technologies that do some kind of inclusion.

But i need ifraems, by using them i can load a particular frame on any
request.There by i can reduce the response time.
So pls suggest a solution with iframes.

Thanks
Anand

Raymond SCHMIT

[...]

perhaps using frames instead of iframes .... could

I have an website using frames and i am thinking about dynamic
submenus...
here is my website:
http://www.fur4x-hebergement.net/lesvieillesbranches/

Could you post your website url ? -with it, i may try to implement the
dynamic subemu to see if it works.

Bergamot

boss said:
But i need ifraems,

That's pretty unlikely. It seems more likely that you decided on a
solution before fully defining the problem.
by using them i can load a particular frame on any
request.There by i can reduce the response time.

Is your content so huge that it really makes that much difference? Using
iframes just to keep a common header, footer, etc. on all pages is a
poor choice. There are far better ways to do this, for example with
server-side includes, or any server side scripting language like php. If
your web server doesn't permit these, find a better server. They are
plentiful and cheap.

Then you can have all of the benefits of framed pages with none of the
problems.
So pls suggest a solution with iframes.

Sorry, can't do that because it would be wrong.

Raymond SCHMIT

That's pretty unlikely. It seems more likely that you decided on a
solution before fully defining the problem.

Is your content so huge that it really makes that much difference? Using
iframes just to keep a common header, footer, etc. on all pages is a
poor choice. There are far better ways to do this, for example with
server-side includes, or any server side scripting language like php. If
your web server doesn't permit these, find a better server. They are
plentiful and cheap.

Then you can have all of the benefits of framed pages with none of the
problems.
Without php, and without frames - if you have 30 pages ....don't try
to change the menu ---> you have to do it 30 times <--- That's a
problem !

Jonathan N. Little

Raymond said:
Without php, and without frames - if you have 30 pages ....don't try
to change the menu ---> you have to do it 30 times <--- That's a
problem !

In 199x finding hosting with server-side was either rare, expensive, or
both. Now they are a dime a dozen and many are free. A 30 page site
would easily fit within the constrains of many free servers 200mb limits...

So correct answer is, don't have PHP hosting, then get it...

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-06-24, Raymond SCHMIT wrote:
Without php, and without frames - if you have 30 pages ....don't try
to change the menu ---> you have to do it 30 times <--- That's a
problem !

No, you only have to do it once. You can use server-side includes:

<!--#inclue virtual="menu.html" -->

The only problem with that is that if the menu has links to the
pages that are including it, the pages will have an active link to
themselves. To remove those, you would need PHP or a CGI script.

Raymond SCHMIT

On 2008-06-24, Raymond SCHMIT wrote:

No, you only have to do it once. You can use server-side includes:

<!--#inclue virtual="menu.html" -->

The only problem with that is that if the menu has links to the
pages that are including it, the pages will have an active link to
themselves. To remove those, you would need PHP or a CGI script.

A general menu have always links to the pages that are including it.
So i repeat using frames is better ... no need to have php... and just
one menu, not the menu on each pages ...
I had the need to help a collegue with his site without frames .. just
a part of the menu has changed ... i was obliged to change 64 pages

Bergamot

Raymond said:
Without php, and without frames - if you have 30 pages ....don't try
to change the menu ---> you have to do it 30 times <--- That's a
problem !

It's only a problem until you learn how to work smarter. If server-side
processing isn't doable for some reason, go find yourself a
pre-processor. Then it's easy peasy.

Raymond SCHMIT

Nope, php is better. And includes are better. And perl is better.

With php, you can make one menu for any number of pages and have a
conditional to "de-activate" the page shown. Of course, you have to learn
php to do this. This would take maybe 6-8 hours to learn including tests.

My isp let me construct a website of 100 Mb - but did not give me cgi
possibilities - so nophp, no perl,etc .... therefore frames was my
*best* solution for the "menu problem".

Raymond SCHMIT

It's only a problem until you learn how to work smarter. If server-side
processing isn't doable for some reason, go find yourself a
pre-processor. Then it's easy peasy.

What do you understand by a "pre-processor" ?

Bergamot

Raymond said:
My isp let me construct a website of 100 Mb - but did not give me cgi
possibilities - so nophp, no perl,etc .... therefore frames was my
*best* solution for the "menu problem".

No, it was just the solution you decided on before you learned more
about alternatives.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

Look at pre-processors if you must stay with your limited host, or find
another host that gives you more choices. There are even free servers
out there.

Chris F.A. Johnson

A general menu have always links to the pages that are including it.

On a well-designed site they don't. If there's a link, one assumes
that it leads somewhere. If nothing appears to happens, viewers
may get confused.
So i repeat using frames is better ... no need to have php... and just
one menu, not the menu on each pages ...

There are many disadvantages to frames. And you don't need PHP to
use includes.
I had the need to help a collegue with his site without frames .. just
a part of the menu has changed ... i was obliged to change 64 pages

You should have learned to use SSI, then you would only have had
to change one page.

Chris F.A. Johnson

If you have 300 pages, and you need to update them weekly... *that's* a
problem. A one-time update to 30 pages is trivial.

If the change is the same in all, it makes no difference whether
it's 30 or 300 pages; a simple script does them all.

dorayme

Sherman Pendley said:
If you have 300 pages, and you need to update them weekly... *that's* a
problem. A one-time update to 30 pages is trivial.

An excellent point. I add that the work is very easy with so few pages
because you can change all the menus on all the pages with any good text
editor that has global Research and Replace functions. As for uploading
to server, unless all the pages are in quite separate directories, you
can do it in any FTP program quickly by grabbing multiple changed files
at once and loading them through.

But using includes is a better idea because it is gives you practice in
the technique for larger projects, it provides for if the site grows
larger later and in the end, it is rather neater and quicker.

Raymond SCHMIT

True that. I was thinking more along the lines of updating a menu that's a
bit different for each page - different submenus expanded, different "you
are here" items selected, and so forth. One could certainly write a script
to make those kinds of changes, but for such a small number of pages the
time needed to write the script may well be more than that needed to do
the changes manually.
The menu was different for each page, because the "button" to access
the page itself was not present.