    of session variables, and want to avoid them.

    Anyone here use DW MX for ASP? Got any thoughts or experiences you want to
    share?
    middletree, Aug 29, 2003

  2. hi there

    i use DW MX. i'm not sure where you gained the impression that it uses
    Session variables.
    yes it does perhapse for building Login pages, but apart from that, i can't
    think of any examples.
    what was your information source, what are you trying to accompish, and why
    do you dislike session variables? (they have their place)

    jason

    "middletree" <> wrote in message
    > I've been doing ASP by hand-coding in either Homesite or Interdev for

    years.
    > I have been using Dreamwever for static sites that I make on the side.
    >
    > I recently was asked to make a form which will store info in an Access
    > database, and thought it would be a good chance to learn how to use
    > Dreamweaver MX's ASP capabilities. Haven't tried it yet, but reading up on
    > it, it seems that it forces you to use Session variables. I'm not a big

    fan

    jason kennedy, Aug 29, 2003

  3. middletree

    middletree Guest

    My info source was a book I was reading, but the name escapes me now.

    What I am trying to accomplish is a simple form page to store stuff into an
    Access database.

    As for my dislike of session variables, I'm not going to go there. I forsee
    a long thread of people taking sides, and I'm just not up for that.

    middletree, Aug 29, 2003
  4. a simple form to store stuff in an access database won't require session
    variables, and dreamweaver won't create any.
    at the most, if it is a form spread over multiple pages, you can use hidden
    fields to pass data between pages.

    i don't think criticising session variables will start a for and against
    (this isn't the macromedia.dreamweaver forum!), there are obvious reasons to
    limit their use. but session variables In Themselves are neither good nor
    evil, it's how they're used. :)

    jason kennedy, Aug 29, 2003
  5. I use dreamweaver as a code editor and site managment tool. That's it
    though. I never recommend the use of the tool for actually developing
    an entire website through the GUI. Dreamweaver does very bad code and
    doesn't clean it up well.

    hth,
    Andrew J Durstewitz

    * * * Sent via DevBuilder http://www.devbuilder.org * * *
    Developer Resources for High End Developers.
    Andrew J Durstewitz, Aug 29, 2003
  6. middletree

    middletree Guest

    The form in question is long, so I might divide it up. If so, I was planning
    on using hidden fields.
    You have answered me that I have nothing to be afraid of by using DW for
    this, so I will see what happens when I work on it tonight.

    thanks,

    James W

    middletree, Aug 29, 2003