anyone use Dreamweaver?

middletree

I've been doing ASP by hand-coding in either Homesite or Interdev for years.
I have been using Dreamwever for static sites that I make on the side.

I recently was asked to make a form which will store info in an Access
database, and thought it would be a good chance to learn how to use
Dreamweaver MX's ASP capabilities. Haven't tried it yet, but reading up on
it, it seems that it forces you to use Session variables. I'm not a big fan
of session variables, and want to avoid them.

Anyone here use DW MX for ASP? Got any thoughts or experiences you want to
share?

jason kennedy

hi there

i use DW MX. i'm not sure where you gained the impression that it uses
Session variables.
yes it does perhapse for building Login pages, but apart from that, i can't
think of any examples.
what was your information source, what are you trying to accompish, and why
do you dislike session variables? (they have their place)

jason

middletree

My info source was a book I was reading, but the name escapes me now.

What I am trying to accomplish is a simple form page to store stuff into an
Access database.

As for my dislike of session variables, I'm not going to go there. I forsee
a long thread of people taking sides, and I'm just not up for that.

jason kennedy

a simple form to store stuff in an access database won't require session
variables, and dreamweaver won't create any.
at the most, if it is a form spread over multiple pages, you can use hidden
fields to pass data between pages.

i don't think criticising session variables will start a for and against
(this isn't the macromedia.dreamweaver forum!), there are obvious reasons to
limit their use. but session variables In Themselves are neither good nor
evil, it's how they're used. :)

jason

Andrew J Durstewitz

I use dreamweaver as a code editor and site managment tool. That's it
though. I never recommend the use of the tool for actually developing
an entire website through the GUI. Dreamweaver does very bad code and
doesn't clean it up well.

hth,
Andrew J Durstewitz

* * * Sent via DevBuilder http://www.devbuilder.org * * *
Developer Resources for High End Developers.

middletree

The form in question is long, so I might divide it up. If so, I was planning
on using hidden fields.
You have answered me that I have nothing to be afraid of by using DW for
this, so I will see what happens when I work on it tonight.

thanks,

James W