app not working unless vb.net installed on server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by keith, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. keith

    keith Guest

    Hi, we have a very weird problem deploying a ASP.NET project which is solved
    by installing VB.NET.

    We are using a custom DLL made using the ASP.NET WebService.

    It works fine as long as you have VB.NET Standard installed on the Machine.
    If it's not, and, of course the .NET framework is installed, then the
    application will not work if the DLL is called from more than one asp.net
    project.

    e.g.
    Computer A and B both have .net framework 1.1 installed.

    Computer A has vb.net standard installed.

    the website runs fine with out custom DLL in ran on Computer A, but Computer
    B will not run more than one instance of the DLL. (i.e. 2 websites using
    the same DLL).

    We are going to install windows .net server 2003 to see if this resolves the
    issue, but it's a real pain in the a**

    Simply put, HELP.

    Thanks, Keith.
    keith, Jul 22, 2003

  2. keith

    Phil Wilson Guest

    If you are using any of the VB compatibility DLLs
    (Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.dll
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.Data.dll) I don't think they're in the
    runtime, but they are in VB.NET. If this is the case, be aware that there is
    an advisory somewhere that they shouldn't be used for new development.
    --
    Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]

    Phil Wilson, Jul 22, 2003