ASP 3.0 - Migration to Windows 2003 Question

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Don Miller, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    I have a ASP 3.0 web application that uses IIS 5.0 with W2K (with parent
    paths enabled). In my research about migration to IIS6 with W2003 it says
    that you need to change every INCLUDE FILE= to INCLUDE VIRTUAL=.

    I call an ASP page at the root of the website and that ASP file has an
    include that also is at the root, and the include is like this:

    <!-- INCLUDE FILE="copyrightstuff.htm" -->

    So what I've read say that this has to be changed to VIRTUAL like this:

    <!-- INCLUDE VIRTUAL="/websitename/copyrightstuff.htm" -->

    I could do this for one website that has one name listed in IIS. However, my
    website code was designed to work on many different websites, each with
    different domain names. It seems like a LOT of work to have to change ALL
    the includes to accommodate the name given to the site in IIS.

    Can I avoid all of these changes to INCLUDE files in 2003 by just allowing
    parent paths for my applications?

    Or, do I have to pick one and standardize the application name of the
    website used in IIS? (where before the application name didn't matter at
    all)

    Thanks for the help.
    Don Miller, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    Doesn't anyone use "classic" ASP with Windows 2003?

    Don Miller, Aug 22, 2006

  3. Yes, i've just never run into your problem.
    We have only intranet applications so we have Parent Paths enabled for
    all applications. I'm not sure this is a good idea security-wise for
    internet applications.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Aug 22, 2006