ASP/CDO verify email address from Exchange 2000 non-delivery report

Dan Williams

Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest audience
possible.

I have a web site that users have to register to with their email address.
The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
ASP/VBScript and CDO.

Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists
before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and only
discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a
non-delivery report?

I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an invalid
address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
knowing what their correct email address should be.

It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address exists
before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the site can
display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address and
get them to re-enter it.

I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd like
it to be all seamless.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan Williams.

Dan Williams

Thanks for proving my point.

How long have you been waiting for me to post another question before you
could put that?!?

You're not related to this bloke by any chance are ya??
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/blastersuspect.html

Now get back to work! Don't forget to clean under the toilet seat!! heheh ;)

So i take it you don't know how to do what i asked? Like you'd tell me now
anyway!!

Cheers anyway, you provided me with a chuckle.

Dan.

Dan Williams

Found this if anyones interested

http://www.serverobjects.com/comp/AspMX.htm

It does mention the following however:-

Services such as AOL accept mail for any username @aol.com. Therefore there
is no way to determine what is valid and what is not. The same is true for
yahoo.com and hotmail.com. There is no known way to validate addresses for
services such as these since their mail servers do not return any errors for
invalid usernames.

If anyone knows any different, then please let me know. In the meantime, it
looks like i'll have to rely on users entering their email address
correctly!! You'd be amazed at the amount of people who don't know their
correct email address. Suppose its more likely that they're entering an
invalid address on purpose. Their prerogative, i suppose. But in the end,
they lose out on the service that i provide. Up to them! grrrr.

There's nothing like posting replies to your own posts!

Dan