AspEmail vs CDO :: (sendque) which is better?

jason

If you are sending out bulk emails in the range of 800 to 1000 per day
which component is better:

1. ASPEmail
2. CDO

....and further, do they also BOTH use a SEND TO QUEUE option.

I wish to progress according to the best one for the job...which do you
think?

My current host maximumASP.com only allow 800 emails per day - grrrrr -so I
am now forced to consider the painful sendqueue route which could result in
my outgoing emails sitting on the server for hours if others are doing the
same thing.

List server is too expensive complex; Cannot find a suitable local bulk
emailer program except Access Mailer from FMS which is single threaded and
does not auto-detect html or text mime in recipient email.

Always on the lookout for a product that is cheap, easy and strong with
regards bulk emailing

Thanks
- Jason

ps: We already use an online broadcast email blast vendor but I have access
to api to connect my database which must send out emails automatically.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

1. ASPEmail

Both are limited by the technology you are using, ASP to send out 80,000
e-mails. How about investing in some software designed to handle this task?

If you want to know which is better, run a test. Only *you* can reproduce
your exact environment, with the size of your e-mails, frequency, delay,
variance of domain names, etc etc ad nauseum.

Anyone else offering you a "which is better" or "which is faster" opinion is
going to be just that, opinion.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I take it both have SendQueue options - Aaron, could I ask you if you
successfully used the COMs in an 800 send out per day - what were the
results?

It works, but it's not the tool for the job. At least, use VBS and the task
scheduler, not an ASP page.

Alan

Hi Jason,

Is this an 800 email batch or 800-odd emails going over the course of a day?

I have two things to offer. I just completed a bulk email app which was a
one-off to send out invitations and reminders to complete an online
questionnaire. I sent out 1500 emails in one hit using CDONTS. It was called
within an ASP so it could be triggered by a staff member. Last time I did
this I let them go in batches of 200 - I was worried about choking the
server - but there didn't seem to be a problem and the 1500 went without any
problems on my dev server (PIII 550) so I decided to just do it. For this
job a template was read from the filesystem, copied into another local
variable (to avoid another 1499 filesys reads), populated with static data
for each recipient and then dispatched with To: and a Bcc: addressees.
Testing worked well with both plain text and HTML formats (different
templates).

I have also used COM and WSH to create a custom app to schedule the release
of queued emails. Not used as a bulk mailer, but if you want to schedule
your email to go without intervention then this is one approach. CDONTS can
be accessed in exactly the same way from a WSH script, I just put it in a
COM component (that is called from the script) cause it was just so darn
handy I thought I might get around to reusing it. The component is
registered on the (web) server, and the WSH script is also scheduled on this
machine.

My advice is just to give it a try, and try to take into account any other
load on the server that may make this a problem.

BTW, I used CDONTS, but I believe we should all be using CDOSYS now.

Alan
..