ASPNET account is missing

Billy Angers

My server is running under Windows SBS 2003. I've deleted some directories
that was containing Outlook Web Access files, it was done few months ago by
mistake. Now I want to use OWA for some distant users. So, I tried the
procedure on the MS website:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;883380&x=13&y=19
I've done all of the Method 1, but the files have not been re-created, and I
get this Event:
Event ID: 1047 Metabase Update failed to properly initialize its context. It
will retry initialized every 60 seconds until succeeds or shutdown is
requested.

After few searches, I found that the ASPNET user is used to update the
metabase and that this account was missing in my Active Directory.
I read somewhere that this command may re-create the account:
%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe /i

Or maybe, re-installing dotNet Framework would re-create the account?

Does anybody have already experience and solve this problem?

Thanks.

Billy Angers

Kevin Spencer

Look for the NetworkService account.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Hard work is a medication for which
there is no placebo.

Billy Angers

I don't even see a NetworkService account. For what else this account is
being used? Because everything else seems to run well. And how could I
recover those accounts?

Juan T. Llibre

Kevin,

That would be the "Network Service" account.
(There's a space between the words... )

The full account name is "NT Authority\Network Service"

re:
There's a quick rundown of the steps needed to create an account to run ASP.NET as, at :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315158

Also, as just sent to another thread :

See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwzs111e.aspx
for a list of ASP.NET 2.0 directories and the permissions the new ASP.NET account will require.

Review this checklist :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000009.asp
for instructions on how to run ASP.NET with a custom service account.

Billy Angers

Where I'm supposed to see this account in Active Directory?
Domain->Users ?

Thanks

Kevin Spencer

Thanks for the correction, Juan. I hadn't looked at it in awhile. Should've
checked to make sure.

--

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Hard work is a medication for which
there is no placebo.

Kevin Spencer

It's a local machine account.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Hard work is a medication for which
there is no placebo.

Juan T. Llibre

It's a local account.

You don't really need to run ASP.NEt as that account.

Creating a new account and following the steps in the 3 links I sent you
will have you up and running in almost no time.

There's security problems associated with running ASP.NET on a domain controller if the default
ASP.NET account ( which has a lot of permissions and -therefore- the capability to do a lot of
damage )
is the Network Service account.

Most SBS installations are setup with the SBS box running as a domain controller.

The solution is to create a "weak account" with far fewer permissions on the domain controller,
and run ASP.NET as that account. The links I sent you :

show you what you have to do.