ASPNET account is missing

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Billy Angers, May 11, 2006.

  1. Billy Angers

    Billy Angers Guest

    My server is running under Windows SBS 2003. I've deleted some directories
    that was containing Outlook Web Access files, it was done few months ago by
    mistake. Now I want to use OWA for some distant users. So, I tried the
    procedure on the MS website:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;883380&x=13&y=19
    I've done all of the Method 1, but the files have not been re-created, and I
    get this Event:
    Event ID: 1047 Metabase Update failed to properly initialize its context. It
    will retry initialized every 60 seconds until succeeds or shutdown is
    requested.

    After few searches, I found that the ASPNET user is used to update the
    metabase and that this account was missing in my Active Directory.
    I read somewhere that this command may re-create the account:
    %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe /i

    Or maybe, re-installing dotNet Framework would re-create the account?

    Does anybody have already experience and solve this problem?

    Thanks.

    Billy Angers
    Billy Angers, May 11, 2006

  2. Look for the NetworkService account.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Professional Numbskull

    Hard work is a medication for which
    there is no placebo.

    Kevin Spencer, May 11, 2006

  3. Billy Angers

    Billy Angers Guest

    I don't even see a NetworkService account. For what else this account is
    being used? Because everything else seems to run well. And how could I
    recover those accounts?

    de news: ...

    Billy Angers, May 11, 2006
  4. Kevin,

    That would be the "Network Service" account.
    (There's a space between the words... )

    The full account name is "NT Authority\Network Service"

    re:
    >> After few searches, I found that the ASPNET user is used to update the metabase and that this
    >> account was missing in my Active Directory.

    There's a quick rundown of the steps needed to create an account to run ASP.NET as, at :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315158

    Also, as just sent to another thread :

    See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwzs111e.aspx
    for a list of ASP.NET 2.0 directories and the permissions the new ASP.NET account will require.

    Review this checklist :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000009.asp
    for instructions on how to run ASP.NET with a custom service account.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 11, 2006
  5. Billy Angers

    Billy Angers Guest

    Where I'm supposed to see this account in Active Directory?
    Domain->Users ?

    Thanks

    news: ...

    Billy Angers, May 11, 2006
  6. Thanks for the correction, Juan. I hadn't looked at it in awhile. Should've
    checked to make sure.

    Kevin Spencer, May 11, 2006
  7. It's a local machine account.

    Kevin Spencer, May 11, 2006
  8. It's a local account.

    You don't really need to run ASP.NEt as that account.

    Creating a new account and following the steps in the 3 links I sent you
    will have you up and running in almost no time.

    There's security problems associated with running ASP.NET on a domain controller if the default
    ASP.NET account ( which has a lot of permissions and -therefore- the capability to do a lot of
    damage )
    is the Network Service account.

    Most SBS installations are setup with the SBS box running as a domain controller.

    The solution is to create a "weak account" with far fewer permissions on the domain controller,
    and run ASP.NET as that account. The links I sent you :
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315158
    > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwzs111e.aspx
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000009.asp

    show you what you have to do.