ASPNET Account Name does not exist

Guest

I am running a Windows 2003 Server w/Framework 1.1 loaded. We have built a
..NET 2003 app and it requires that ASPNET be assigned permissions to several
folders and servcies.

The ASPNET account does not exist on the server (viewed through Active
Directory). The accounts IUSR_WIN2K3SRVR and IWAM_WIN2K3SRVR do exist. I
thought that the Framework installation would automatically create the ASPNET
account - it does appear on other machines.

I don't know if ASPNET should be created manually now, or if it can really
be created manually. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to correct this?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Windows 2003 Server uses an account named NetworkService instead of ASPNET.

Guest

Thank you both! I got it!

For anyone else who may be facing this - the NETWORK SERVICE does not show
up in Logins, but rather is referenced in the Security tab of the resources
(like a folder) as a User Name that can be assigned permissoins. Here is an
example:

If the .NET web application on Windows 2003 Server needs to access a folder
"/Document Repository":

1. right click on the folder, then
2. click on "Sharing and Security", then
3. click on "Security"
4. click on the "Add" button
5. click on "Advanced"
6. click on "Find Now"
7. Scroll down until you find "NETWORK SERVICE"
8. Double-click of click on "OK"
9. Set the Permissions to "Read & Execute" (which also checks off "Read")
and "List Folder Contents" is checked by default. Other more advanced
permissions may need to be set IF you need more rights - but even for our
document repository. we found that the read, execute and list rights were
sufficient.

- Doctor Who