ASPNET account permissions

Paul Aspinall

Hi
I am trying to print, server side, from my web application.

I'm getting problems, as my ASPNET account is a local account, and is not
trusted on the domain to print to printers (ie. does not belong to 'Users'
group)

What is the best way round this??

I've asked the security guys to specifically add the account with
permissions to the printer (ie. specifically add \\webhost\ASPNET ) but they
say that it won't work, because \\webhost is not trusted in the domain).

Can anyone help??

What is the best way to let ASPNET run under another account? (ie other than
the local ASPNET)

Surely the network guys can add the local machine account \\webhost\ASPNET
to have permissions to print on the printer?

Thanks

Paul

Guest

Add impersonate=true to web.config

--
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

| Hi
| I am trying to print, server side, from my web application.
|
| I'm getting problems, as my ASPNET account is a local account, and is not
| trusted on the domain to print to printers (ie. does not belong to 'Users'
| group)
|
| What is the best way round this??
|
| I've asked the security guys to specifically add the account with
| permissions to the printer (ie. specifically add \\webhost\ASPNET ) but
they
| say that it won't work, because \\webhost is not trusted in the domain).
|
| Can anyone help??
|
| What is the best way to let ASPNET run under another account? (ie other
than
| the local ASPNET)
|
| Surely the network guys can add the local machine account \\webhost\ASPNET
| to have permissions to print on the printer?
|
| Thanks
|

| Paul

Don't know what namespace you are using for printing, but are you aware of
this:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5ekk3hse.aspx
especially the caution mentions .... not supported ...
As a general rule, you should not print from Windows Services or the like,
ever imagined where the possible spooler action requests, error and warning
messages are going to?

Willy.

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

This isn't of any help, the printers are attached to a remote server, the
impersonated account can't access remote resources unless kerberos
delegation is configured correctly and all clients are authenticated using
kerberos.
As I said in my other reply, printing is not supported and in general
doesn't work from services (windows and web).

Willy.

message | Add impersonate=true to web.config

| "Paul Aspinall" wrote:
|
| > Hi
| > I am trying to print, server side, from my web application.
| >
| > I'm getting problems, as my ASPNET account is a local account, and is
not
| > trusted on the domain to print to printers (ie. does not belong to
'Users'
| > group)
| >
| > What is the best way round this??
| >
| > I've asked the security guys to specifically add the account with
| > permissions to the printer (ie. specifically add \\webhost\ASPNET ) but
they
| > say that it won't work, because \\webhost is not trusted in the domain).
| >
| > Can anyone help??
| >
| > What is the best way to let ASPNET run under another account? (ie other
than
| > the local ASPNET)
| >
| > Surely the network guys can add the local machine account
\\webhost\ASPNET
| > to have permissions to print on the printer?
|
| --
| WBR,
| Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour
|
| "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
not
| cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Paul Aspinall

Thanks for the reply.

I have actually got it working with this change to web.config - thanks for
that.

My next problem was that the printers needed installing for each user, or
some registry hacking done to allow the printers to be added to 'all
users'.... I spent some time playing with this, but eventually made an
Interop call back to Win32 API, which allowed me to redirect print directly
to a share \\computer\queue

All works fine.

Thanks for the help

Paul