ASPNET user

Tumurbaatar S.

If Windows authentication used to connect to SQL server from ASP.Net
application, a database should be accessible for ASPNET user account.
Yes? But if I map ASPNET user to SQL server and grant it database
access, then other ASP.Net applications can access my database. Yes?
Also, if impersonation is enabled, then ASPNET is not used in this case,
but IUSR_XXX. Yes?

Patrick.O.Ige

Yes if you use Integrated Windos Auth which is Windoows Auth.
You would use ASPNET acct to access the DB if you add the acct to SQL server
But you need to assign permission to the acct to access your
tables,Stored_prco etc..
If you impersonate then you would be using the acct AS WHO YOU ARE to access
the DB.
Patrick
** **

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Tumurbaatar S.,

is the database remote or local?
which OS ? 2k or 2k3?

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Tumurbaatar S.,

but this is not your production system, right?

Tumurbaatar S.

Yes, but, is there any difference between Win2K and WinXP IIS's?
I thought theirs security systems almost identical, at least for web app.

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Tumurbaatar S.,

OK -

so with a local database, the ASPNET user account has to have access - this
won't work with a remote database- or you use sql logins.

If you have more than one app,and want distinct identities you have to use
impersonation, IMO this approach is not optimal -

better would be to use IIS6 where you can give apps distinct worker processes
which run under distinct accounts.

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com
Yes, but, is there any difference between Win2K and WinXP IIS's? I
thought theirs security systems almost identical, at least for web
app.

Hello Tumurbaatar S.,

but this is not your production system, right?
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.come i
It's a local on XP.