aspnet_wp.exe stopped unexpectedly.

Ken Varn

On a few occasions, IIS has thrown up a pop-up error message box stating
that aspnet_wp generated an error. The browser interface comes back with a
web page that indicates Server Application Unavailable and tells me to look
at the Event Viewer to get details on the error. All Event Viewer shows is
that the aspnet_wp stopped unexpectedly. See below:
aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2060) stopped unexpectedly.

Most of the time the ASP.NET web page works fine, but I don't understand why
this error occurs occasionally. The main concern that I have with this is
that IIS will not restart unless someone clicks OK on the exception dialog
that is thrown up. This is totally unacceptable and results in the Web
Server being dead until someone acknowledges the error message. Since our
web server is unattended, this could result in our system being down with no
way for it to recover on its own.

The main question I have is, how can I prevent IIS from throwing up any
pop-up exception dialog boxes? IIS should just log the error in Event
Viewer and then restart itself.

--
-----------------------------------
Ken Varn

EmailID = varnk
Domain = Diebold.com

Scott Allen

Perhaps someone clicked the "allow service to interact with desktop"
checkbox.

Administrative Tools -> Services -> World Wide Web -> Log On tab ->
Allow system to interact with desktop.

It's a dangerous option to select for just this reason!