available fonts ???

Mel

is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine running
a browser ?

Travis Newbury

Mel said:
is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine running
a browser ?

Yes, but you would have to know the owner of the client, call them, and
ask them to give you a list of available fonts. Not very practical
really.

Jukka K. Korpela

Travis Newbury said:
Yes, but you would have to know the owner of the client, call them, and
ask them to give you a list of available fonts. Not very practical
really.

And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
for generating a list of available fonts.

Oli Filth

Jukka said:
And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
for generating a list of available fonts.

In Windows, that's under Control Panel->Fonts.

Is there something similar on Mac and Unix?

Steve Greenaway

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Oli's face, who said:
In Windows, that's under Control Panel->Fonts.

Which basically just opens the fonts folder. Not very useful for
making a list of fonts available to be printed, emailed, etc.

I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

Oli Filth

Steve said:
Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Oli's face, who said:

Which basically just opens the fonts folder. Not very useful for
making a list of fonts available to be printed, emailed, etc.

I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

I know. I was just responding to what Jukka wrote. :)

Toby Inkster

Jukka said:
unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
for generating a list of available fonts.

Personally I'd just type:

xlsfonts | mail -s "List of fonts" (e-mail address removed)

JDS

Is there something similar on Mac and Unix?

Linux has several ways, depending on your desktop environment and distro.
For example, in Gnome, you can browse to fonts:/// using nautilus. I
think. And KDE has a similar feature. You know, this font thing is a
case where Windows or Mac "less-choice-is-better" philosophy really might
be true. As compared to Linux, that is. blah blah blah

Karim

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Oli's face, who said:

Which basically just opens the fonts folder. Not very useful for
making a list of fonts available to be printed, emailed, etc.

I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

In Windows you can download some font browsers like X-Fonter. X-Fonter can
print a sample of every installed font. See download.com.

I don't think you can get a list of installed fonts using html and
Javascript. Maybe through Java or ActiveX (Windows only with IE or plugins
for some others).

Karim

Jakob

Steve Greenaway said:
I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

Well, actually that's not what they asked.
There was mention of a "client machine" that runs a browser;
and they wanted to *get* a font-list.

Jakob

(I'm sorry; just a professional deformation;
alweays trying to get the facts straight)

JDS

is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine
running a browser ?

For what you probably want to do, the answer is "no". Ignore all the
other smarmy answers in this thread.