    Mel Guest

    is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine running
    a browser ?

    Mel, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Mel wrote:
    > is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine

    running
    > a browser ?

    Yes, but you would have to know the owner of the client, call them, and
    ask them to give you a list of available fonts. Not very practical
    really.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Feb 3, 2005

  3. "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:

    > Mel wrote:
    >> is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine
    >> running a browser ?

    > Yes, but you would have to know the owner of the client, call them, and
    > ask them to give you a list of available fonts. Not very practical
    > really.

    And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
    list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
    somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
    for generating a list of available fonts.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Mel

    Oli Filth Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Mel wrote:
    >>
    >>>is it possible to get a list of available fonts from client machine
    >>>running a browser ?

    >>Yes, but you would have to know the owner of the client, call them, and
    >>ask them to give you a list of available fonts. Not very practical
    >>really.

    > And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
    > list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
    > somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
    > for generating a list of available fonts.

    In Windows, that's under Control Panel->Fonts.

    Is there something similar on Mac and Unix?

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Oli's face, who said:
    >Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >>
    >> And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
    >> list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
    >> somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
    >> for generating a list of available fonts.
    >>

    >In Windows, that's under Control Panel->Fonts.

    Which basically just opens the fonts folder. Not very useful for
    making a list of fonts available to be printed, emailed, etc.

    I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
    automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

    --
    - Steve
    "I think a good friend would recommend CLR to all his friends."

    Steve Greenaway, Feb 3, 2005
  6. Mel

    Oli Filth Guest

    I know. I was just responding to what Jukka wrote. :)

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Feb 3, 2005
  7. Mel

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
    > for generating a list of available fonts.

    Personally I'd just type:

    xlsfonts | mail -s "List of fonts"

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Feb 3, 2005
  8. Mel

    JDS Guest

    Getting more and more OT. Re: available fonts ???

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:26:03 +0000, Oli Filth wrote:

    > Is there something similar on Mac and Unix?

    Linux has several ways, depending on your desktop environment and distro.
    For example, in Gnome, you can browse to fonts:/// using nautilus. I
    think. And KDE has a similar feature. You know, this font thing is a
    case where Windows or Mac "less-choice-is-better" philosophy really might
    be true. As compared to Linux, that is. blah blah blah

    --
    JDS |

    JDS, Feb 3, 2005
  9. Mel

    Karim Guest

    On 3 Feb 2005 18:41:31 GMT, Steve Greenaway wrote:

    > Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Oli's face, who said:
    >>Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >>>
    >>> And it's not that simple. I bet most people would be unable to provide the
    >>> list when asked. Actually, even experienced users might find the task
    >>> somewhat awkward, unless they happen to know some nice and reliable utility
    >>> for generating a list of available fonts.
    >>>

    >>In Windows, that's under Control Panel->Fonts.

    > Which basically just opens the fonts folder. Not very useful for
    > making a list of fonts available to be printed, emailed, etc.
    >
    > I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
    > automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

    In Windows you can download some font browsers like X-Fonter. X-Fonter can
    print a sample of every installed font. See download.com.

    I don't think you can get a list of installed fonts using html and
    Javascript. Maybe through Java or ActiveX (Windows only with IE or plugins
    for some others).

    Karim
    --
    http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Innovative Web Hosting since 1998
    Spam and Virus protected email - Online calendars with email notification

    Karim, Feb 3, 2005
  10. Mel

    Jakob Guest

    "Steve Greenaway" <> schreef in bericht

    > I may have misunderstood the OP, but weren't they asking for an
    > automatic way for their pages to ask a browser what fonts were available?

    Well, actually that's not what they asked.
    There was mention of a "client machine" that runs a browser;
    and they wanted to *get* a font-list.

    Jakob

    (I'm sorry; just a professional deformation;
    alweays trying to get the facts straight)

    Jakob, Feb 3, 2005
  11. Mel

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Feb 3, 2005