Axis 1.1 Installation Problem

Juergen Bayer

Hi,

I have a problem installing Axis 1.1 on Tomcat 5.0.24 (new installation).
After copying the folder webapps/axis to the webapps folder of Tomcat and
restarting Tomcat, Axis is not installed as a web application. stdout.log
reports the error
- Error deploying web application directory axis
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

I can't understand this error since HttpServlet is stored in
%CATALINA_HOME%/common/lib/servlet-api.jar.

My system is configured like this:
* Windows XP Professional
* new installation of J2SE 1.4 SDK to C:\j2sdk1.4.2_03
* new installation of Tomcat
* JAVA_HOME: C:\j2sdk1.4.2_03
* CLASSPATH: .;C:\Programs\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
5.0\common\lib\servlet-api.jar (I tried to put servlet-api.jar in the
classpath ...)
* CATALINA_HOME: C:\Programs\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0
* PATH: <no Java
paths>;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_03\bin;C:\Programs\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin

Thanks very much for any help

Juergen