Book Recommendation

ted

Hi,

I have been programming for about 5 years mainly on client apps that are
standalone and n-tier. I have very little experience with web development.
I need a recommendation on a book that will get me up to speed on ASP.Net
2.0 with my experience. Any suggestions?

Thanks

sloan

If you get any ASP 2.0 books, you'll get stuff for the new features.

Alot of 2.0 is for "Rapid Development", not "Good" (as in Tiered)
Development.

I would suggest this book:
Expert ASP.NET 2.0 Advanced Application Design
for shedding some light.

You need this book ~and another 2.0 "basics" book.

For the basics, I bought
..NET 2.0: A Developer's Notebook

By Wei-Meng Lee
First Edition June 2005
Series: Developer's Notebooks
ISBN: 0-596-00812-0

This will give you the in and outs of 2.0.

I strongly recommend the first book.

The second one, there are probably alot of similar books out there.
Any (recommended) one would be fine.

Jim Cheshire

ted said:
Hi,

I have been programming for about 5 years mainly on client apps that
are standalone and n-tier. I have very little experience with web
development. I need a recommendation on a book that will get me up to
speed on ASP.Net 2.0 with my experience. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I highly recommend Dino Esposito's books. He has a great one available now
on ASP.NET 2.0 and another due out in March.

--
Jim Cheshire
================================

Latest entry:
Getting the PID and TID of a COM Call

Describes how to get the PID of the
dllhost process a COM call is executing
in and how to locate the thread as well.

Jon Paal

book selection is language dependent - vb or C#
also depends on whether you intend to develop with or without visual studio

john smith

ted said:
Hi,

I have been programming for about 5 years mainly on client apps that are
standalone and n-tier. I have very little experience with web development.
I need a recommendation on a book that will get me up to speed on ASP.Net
2.0 with my experience. Any suggestions?

Thanks
I agree with the previous opinions/answers. It depends on many
factors... I know of several good books, but not only you don't even
mention a language (C# or VB), but it also boils down to personal
preferences. There may be some available at your local library too (not
so much to not have to pay for them than have a chance to look at them
first - online stores don't always have sample chapters and local stores
don't usually have much good books it seems). Also, the quickstarts
http://www.asp.net/tutorials/quickstart.aspx and starter kits can be
helpful (there are TONS of other great resources on the web). I'm
assuming you know xhtml [markup] already, if not, then you could have a
peek at w3schools: http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/default.asp (ideally
you will want to know about more things, like CSS, JavaScript, etc).

BarDev

I have the Dino Exposito book Introducing Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0, and I
recommend everyone to stay away from it. The company I work for
received 2 of these books from a Microsoft rep and I understand why
they are giving them away, it sucks. I do have experience with ASP.NET.
I have been working with ASP.NET since the release of Beta 2 of ASP.NET
1.0. I started reading this book today and have relized that the
content is based on Beta. After the first chapter I decided to find
another book on ASP.NET 2.0. If you go to Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735620245/ and read the review, you
will relize I'm not the only person saying this. Based on Microsoft's
Site (http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6962.asp) this book was
published in August of 2004.