Books

PSULionRP

I have a programming background in big iron: CICS, DB2. I am about ready to
take the plunge into the ASP.NET world. Does anyone out there have any good
suggestions for some real good ASP .NET books that will get me up to speed
pretty quick in terms of the ASP .NET fundamentals and syntax???

Thanks in advacne for your help.

PSULionRP

clintonG

First learn C# using a real textbook from Deitel & Deitel [1] and --then--
learn ASP.NET but saying which book for ASP.NET has become a real challenge
as there are so many well written works to choose from. I find my
bookshelves lined with red covers and black and gold covers, red being WROX
and the black and gold covers APress (for the most part).

You also MUST learn JavaScript which is why I recommend C# as punctuation is
exactly the same, ditto for Java so you pragmatically learn 3 for the price
of one so to speak. It might mean something to note Microsoft does not
develop ANYTHING using VB.NET and actually developed VB.NET with C# and has
stated officially C# is their preferred language they developed specifically
for the web.

That said, besides JavaScript you need to know HTML and CSS with a masterful
grasp of the DOM so I recommend books from O'Reilly such as "Dynamic HTML
the Definitive Reference ." And one more final word to the wise...

Get started by adopting correct and useful habits now. Hence, do all
development using Firefox which renders as faithfully as can be expected and
then and only then only then test and respond using the various instances of
IE.

As a neophyte web developer you need to be advised and prepared for the
nightmare learning to cope with the worst piece of shit software in the
history of the Internet if not the history of computer science: Internet
Explorer. And I kid you not. It is FUBAR trash that requires so many hacks
and work-arounds you will be easily be spending 50%-75% or more of your time
trying to cope with it if you must develop web applications that face the
public.

That's why they say misery loves company. :)

<%= Clinton Gallagher

[1] http://deitel.com/

clintonG

ASP.NET Words of Wit and Wisdon:

First learn the C# language using a real textbook from Deitel & Deitel [1]
and then delve into ASP.NET [2]. There are so many well done titles its
become a matter of personal preference. Over the years my bookshelves have
turned red (Wrox), black and gold (APress) and finally green and white
(O'Reilly).

You also need to master Javascript which is why it is pragmatic to learn C#
as both languages derived from C and share the exact same punctuation as was
Sun's Java so you learn three for the price of one so to speak. There's HTML
and CSS to master as well. O'Reilly has published what can be said to be the
definitive works in this context of client-side development, notably a title
such as "Dynamic HTML - The Definitive Reference."

There's a Beginner Developer Center [3]. The most extensive support websites
are asp.net [4] and MSDN2 [5]. Its less expensive to get started using one
of the free IDEs [6] using SQL Server 2005 Express [7] but if you have the
funds buy into Visual Studio 2008 to be released to the public in several
weeks.

There. That's my random act of kindness for the day.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
METROmilwaukee.com

[1] http://deitel.com/
[2]