building/installing python libs/modules...

Discussion in 'Python' started by bruce, Jul 1, 2006.

  1. bruce

    bruce Guest

    paul,

    thanks for the replies to my issues!!! much appreciation.

    i've got the python app:
    http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/downloads/libxml2dom-0.3.3.tar.gz

    and i've downloaded it, an untarred it...
    i have the dir structure, but i don't know what needs to be done now!!! i
    have a setup.py. does it get run?

    the Readme file didn't tell me how to build the app....

    i now, but everyone starts at something, sometime!!

    thanks

    -bruce
    bruce, Jul 1, 2006

  2. bruce

    John Machin Guest

    On 2/07/2006 5:37 AM, bruce wrote:
    > paul,
    >
    > thanks for the replies to my issues!!! much appreciation.
    >
    > i've got the python app:
    > http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/downloads/libxml2dom-0.3.3.tar.gz
    >
    > and i've downloaded it, an untarred it...
    > i have the dir structure, but i don't know what needs to be done now!!! i
    > have a setup.py. does it get run?
    >
    > the Readme file didn't tell me how to build the app....

    http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/libxml2dom.html

    (see section headed "Installation" at the bottom of the page)
    John Machin, Jul 1, 2006

  3. bruce

    Ravi Teja Guest

    > i've got the python app:
    > http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/downloads/libxml2dom-0.3.3.tar.gz
    >
    > and i've downloaded it, an untarred it...
    > i have the dir structure, but i don't know what needs to be done now!!! i
    > have a setup.py. does it get run?
    >
    > the Readme file didn't tell me how to build the app....

    The setup.py is a distutils installer. The usual drill in that case is
    to simply type "python setup.py install". If the module is registered
    in PyPi (which this one is), you can just type "easy_install
    libxml2dom" (after easy_install is setup) and you will not even need to
    download and extract.

    In this case, your module is a native wrapper. So you will need the
    libraries that it provides a wrapper for, installed. In this case
    (libxml2, libxml2dom). You will also need a C compiler.

    All this can be trivial on a unix based platform. However, if you are
    new and on Windows, this can be a hassle since you will have to
    manually setup your C compiler and the dependencies. Try to find a
    binary installer for native Python modules in MS Windows whenever you
    can.

    Here is a click and go installer built for Windows that I found from
    Google.
    http://users.skynet.be/sbi/libxml-python/binaries/libxml2-python-2.6.22.win32-py2.4.exe
    Ravi Teja, Jul 1, 2006
  4. bruce