C++ Programming and Development under Eclipse?

Arne Vajhøj

Jason said:
A coworker and I recently completed research comparing MinGW (gcc) and
Eclipse, Visual Studio 6.0, and Visual Studio 2005.

I *highly* recommend going with Visual Studio 2005 if you're going to
be developing on a Windows system. There are many, many issues with
CDT including compilation order, debugging issues, etc, etc.
Additionally, on Windows systems, Visual Studio 2005 code runs faster
than gcc and VS6.0. Not only that, but a lot of the great features
for Java in Eclipse are not found in CDT.

That's just my recommendation, but since I just did this study, I
figured I should comment.

My experience is that GCC used to be slower than MSVC++, but that
newer GCC's has caught up.

Eclipse CDT has also improved from unusable to tolerable, but
is still behind as a C++ IDE. Search and auto complete works
nicely, but build and refactor still need improvements.

Arne

Jason Cavett

My experience is that GCC used to be slower than MSVC++, but that
newer GCC's has caught up.

Eclipse CDT has also improved from unusable to tolerable, but
is still behind as a C++ IDE. Search and auto complete works
nicely, but build and refactor still need improvements.

Arne

Yes, I agree that CDT has become better. But, for all the setup
hassle, along with the fact that it is *only* tolerable (I don't want
my tools to be tolerable), we went with VS.