    My preference in using C# is simply the VC# environment is good for
    debugging and quick coding.

    Do you have any views?

    Logician, Mar 9, 2008

  2. On Mar 9, 10:16 pm, Logician <> wrote:
    > I am trying to write an interactive image which presents search
    > results in a tree structure. I see at many sites Java is used for
    > interactivion with images.

    Do you mean as in 'Java applets embedded
    in a web page?'.

    > I would like any views from Java developers why Java is used over C#
    > as that will help me decide what language to use.

    Is there such as a thing as a c# 'applet' that
    can be embedded in a web page?

    Is your client base 'Windows' or 'PCs in general'?

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 9, 2008

  3. Logician

    Logician Guest

    On Mar 9, 12:48 pm, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 10:16 pm, Logician <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to write an interactive image which presents search
    > > results in a tree structure. I see at many sites Java is used for
    > > interactivion with images.

    > Do you mean as in 'Java applets embedded
    > in a web page?'.

    I mean either an applet or a servlet, but via the WWW.

    > > I would like any views from Java developers why Java is used over C#
    > > as that will help me decide what language to use.

    > Is there such as a thing as a c# 'applet' that
    > can be embedded in a web page?

    No, you can run .aspx pages which are completely dynamic. The whole
    thing runs server side.

    > Is your client base 'Windows' or 'PCs in general'?

    The work is all WWW based. If you see http://www.muckety.com/ you can
    see the idea of the interactive map I am trying to follow. I like the
    idea of a natural linking process via an image.

    I think this is easy to implement in C# but everyone seems to use Java
    for this type work. So I was wondering if Java offered some benefits
    over C# for interaction with images.

    Logician, Mar 9, 2008
  4. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Logician wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 12:48 pm, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 9, 10:16 pm, Logician <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to write an interactive image which presents search
    >>> results in a tree structure. I see at many sites Java is used for
    >>> interactivion with images.

    >> Do you mean as in 'Java applets embedded
    >> in a web page?'.

    > I mean either an applet or a servlet, but via the WWW.

    Servlets are server side - applets are client side - for all
    practical purposes they can not replace each other.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008
  5. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Logician wrote:
    > I am trying to write an interactive image which presents search
    > results in a tree structure. I see at many sites Java is used for
    > interactivion with images.
    >
    > I would like any views from Java developers why Java is used over C#
    > as that will help me decide what language to use. I code normally in
    > C# but I know some Java. C# allows Mouse events and the (x,y)
    > positions can be used, so it seems easy enough to use C# for image
    > interaction, or even just events for a TextBox which is placed on the
    > screen after the Text is created by the program.

    For code running client side it does matter that Java is
    more cross platform.

    > My preference in using C# is simply the VC# environment is good for
    > debugging and quick coding.

    There are plenty of good IDE's for Java that can more or less the same.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008
  6. Logician

    Logician Guest

    On Mar 9, 3:36 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Logician wrote:
    > > I am trying to write an interactive image which presents search
    > > results in a tree structure. I see at many sites Java is used for
    > > interactivion with images.

    > > I would like any views from Java developers why Java is used over C#
    > > as that will help me decide what language to use. I code normally in
    > > C# but I know some Java. C# allows Mouse events and the (x,y)
    > > positions can be used, so it seems easy enough to use C# for image
    > > interaction, or even just events for a TextBox which is placed on the
    > > screen after the Text is created by the program.

    > For code running client side it does matter that Java is
    > more cross platform.

    What are you saying exactly, that .aspx will not work if the client
    has non-Windows software such as UNIX?

    Logician, Mar 9, 2008
  7. Logician

    Logician Guest

    On Mar 9, 3:19 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Logician wrote:

    > >> Do you mean as in 'Java applets embedded
    > >> in a web page?'.

    > > I mean either an applet or a servlet, but via the WWW.

    > Servlets are server side - applets are client side - for all
    > practical purposes they can not replace each other.
    >
    > Arne

    This is a fine distinction (applet and servlet). My question is only -
    Do so many people use Java for interactive images because it has
    features not available in C#?

    Logician, Mar 9, 2008
  8. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Logician wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 3:36 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Logician wrote:
    >>> I am trying to write an interactive image which presents search
    >>> results in a tree structure. I see at many sites Java is used for
    >>> interactivion with images.
    >>> I would like any views from Java developers why Java is used over C#
    >>> as that will help me decide what language to use. I code normally in
    >>> C# but I know some Java. C# allows Mouse events and the (x,y)
    >>> positions can be used, so it seems easy enough to use C# for image
    >>> interaction, or even just events for a TextBox which is placed on the
    >>> screen after the Text is created by the program.

    >> For code running client side it does matter that Java is
    >> more cross platform.

    > What are you saying exactly, that .aspx will not work if the client
    > has non-Windows software such as UNIX?

    No.

    ..aspx runs server side.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008
  9. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Logician wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 3:19 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Logician wrote:
    >>> I mean either an applet or a servlet, but via the WWW.

    >> Servlets are server side - applets are client side - for all
    >> practical purposes they can not replace each other.

    > This is a fine distinction (applet and servlet). My question is only -
    > Do so many people use Java for interactive images because it has
    > features not available in C#?

    My impression is that Flash would be most used for this with Java
    applets at a second place.

    And C# is not an option because .NET is not installed on all systems
    and not available at all for some systems.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008
  10. Logician

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Logician wrote:
    >>> Servlets are server side - applets are client side - for all
    >>> practical purposes they can not replace each other.

    >> This is a fine distinction (applet and servlet). My question is only -
    >> Do so many people use Java for interactive images because it has
    >> features not available in C#?

    > My impression is that Flash would be most used for this with Java
    > applets at a second place.
    >
    > And C# is not an option because .NET is not installed on all systems
    > and not available at all for some systems.

    Java is at least as rich as C# for server-side implementations of such
    functionality. JSP are like .aspx, sort of. Java server-side also integrates
    well with scripting languages like Javascript. Libraries based on AJAX, JSF
    (Java Server Faces) and other frameworks provide a rich set of graphical and
    quasi-graphical interactions, dynamically and statically. The trend is toward
    greater cooperation of client-side and server-side actions to make for a rich
    experience. One needn't rely on a browser having plugins for Flash, Java or
    anything else beyond HTML and Javascript.

    Arne's assessment seems accurate for strictly client-side graphical
    interaction. Flex seems to be getting some attention also.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 9, 2008
  11. Logician

    Logician Guest

    On Mar 9, 4:11 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Logician wrote:
    > >> Servlets are server side - applets are client side - for all
    > >> practical purposes they can not replace each other.

    > > This is a fine distinction (applet and servlet). My question is only -
    > > Do so many people use Java for interactive images because it has
    > > features not available in C#?

    > My impression is that Flash would be most used for this with Java
    > applets at a second place.
    >
    > And C# is not an option because .NET is not installed on all systems
    > and not available at all for some systems.
    >
    > Arne- Hide quoted text -

    My understanding is that .NET only needs to be installed on the
    server, so where is the issue with not all systems having .NET? I am
    not seeking to sell the software, so other server systems have no
    value to me.

    Logician, Mar 9, 2008
  12. Logician

    Logician Guest

    On Mar 9, 4:54 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > > Logician wrote:

    > >> This is a fine distinction (applet and servlet). My question is only -
    > >> Do so many people use Java for interactive images because it has
    > >> features not available in C#?

    > > My impression is that Flash would be most used for this with Java
    > > applets at a second place.

    > > And C# is not an option because .NET is not installed on all systems
    > > and not available at all for some systems.

    > Java is at least as rich as C# for server-side implementations of such
    > functionality.  JSP are like .aspx, sort of.  Java server-side also integrates
    > well with scripting languages like Javascript.  Libraries based on AJAX, JSF
    > (Java Server Faces) and other frameworks provide a rich set of graphical and
    > quasi-graphical interactions, dynamically and statically.  The trend is toward
    > greater cooperation of client-side and server-side actions to make for a rich
    > experience.  One needn't rely on a browser having plugins for Flash, Java or
    > anything else beyond HTML and Javascript.

    Javascript is disabled on several browsers especially on computers
    running at large companies (a security measure).

    > Arne's assessment seems accurate for strictly client-side graphical
    > interaction.  Flex seems to be getting some attention also.

    I was under the impression that Java has some classes which made it
    more suited to graphical work, since everyone talks of Java in
    reference to 3D, 360 images, and interactive imnages.

    Logician, Mar 9, 2008
  13. Logician

    Logician Guest

    On Mar 9, 4:09 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Logician wrote:
    > >> For code running client side it does matter that Java is
    > >> more cross platform.

    > > What are you saying exactly, that .aspx will not work if the client
    > > has non-Windows software such as UNIX?

    > No.
    >
    > .aspx runs server side.
    >
    > Arne- Hide quoted text -

    That was my point, so I did not understand the selling point of Java
    as being more cross platform, since .NET will run on the server and
    render a page.

    I see VC# as much easier and more powerful in terms of actual coding
    as the IDE is really powerful. So for me the only real issue is one of
    graphics classes and if Java has more powerful graphics classes and
    therefore the image interaction I envisage is more able to be done.

    I will develop this in Java is I think Java is more suitable, but
    people seem to be saying that the selling point of Java is its cross
    platform applicability.

    Logician, Mar 9, 2008
  14. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Logician wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 4:09 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Logician wrote:
    >>> What are you saying exactly, that .aspx will not work if the client
    >>> has non-Windows software such as UNIX?

    >> No.
    >>
    >> .aspx runs server side.

    > That was my point, so I did not understand the selling point of Java
    > as being more cross platform, since .NET will run on the server and
    > render a page.

    The cross platform is a point for applet, because applet run
    client side.

    (cross platform can also be a point for server side because you can
    freely choose production platform)

    > I see VC# as much easier and more powerful in terms of actual coding
    > as the IDE is really powerful.

    Hm.

    The Java IDE's has been leading in relation to features like refactoring
    for 5+ years.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008
  15. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Logician wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 4:11 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Logician wrote:
    >>> This is a fine distinction (applet and servlet). My question is only -
    >>> Do so many people use Java for interactive images because it has
    >>> features not available in C#?

    >> My impression is that Flash would be most used for this with Java
    >> applets at a second place.
    >>
    >> And C# is not an option because .NET is not installed on all systems
    >> and not available at all for some systems.

    > My understanding is that .NET only needs to be installed on the
    > server, so where is the issue with not all systems having .NET?

    Not true if you are you are looking for client side technology
    as Java applets.

    (but oviously HTML generated by ASP.NET does not require .NET
    client side)

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008
  16. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Logician wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 4:54 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    >> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>> My impression is that Flash would be most used for this with Java
    >>> applets at a second place.
    >>> And C# is not an option because .NET is not installed on all systems
    >>> and not available at all for some systems.

    >> Java is at least as rich as C# for server-side implementations of such
    >> functionality. JSP are like .aspx, sort of. Java server-side also integrates
    >> well with scripting languages like Javascript. Libraries based on AJAX, JSF
    >> (Java Server Faces) and other frameworks provide a rich set of graphical and
    >> quasi-graphical interactions, dynamically and statically. The trend is toward
    >> greater cooperation of client-side and server-side actions to make for a rich
    >> experience. One needn't rely on a browser having plugins for Flash, Java or
    >> anything else beyond HTML and Javascript.

    > Javascript is disabled on several browsers especially on computers
    > running at large companies (a security measure).

    In todays AJAX world browsers with JavaScript disabled would be useless
    for so many things, that I would not worry about that.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008
  17. Lew wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> My impression is that Flash would be most used for this with Java
    >> applets at a second place.

    > Arne's assessment seems accurate for strictly client-side graphical
    > interaction. Flex seems to be getting some attention also.

    I am not an expert in Adobe technology.

    But my impression was that Flex build on top of Flash.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008
  18. Logician

    Mark Space Guest

    Logician wrote:

    > Javascript is disabled on several browsers especially on computers
    > running at large companies (a security measure).

    I run with Javascript disabled, and I can't load most Flash images as
    well as many types of media (YouTube, etc.) JavaScript is used to start
    up the process.

    If you had a C# based solution, I imagine it would have the same problem
    -- it wouldn't run because the JavaScript starter would not execute.

    Mark Space, Mar 9, 2008
  19. Logician

    Mark Space Guest

    Logician wrote:

    > My understanding is that .NET only needs to be installed on the
    > server, so where is the issue with not all systems having .NET? I am
    > not seeking to sell the software, so other server systems have no
    > value to me.

    You missed the point. You users may be running Macs or Linux machines
    without any .Net at all. I think .Net is available, but I can't see it
    being a common install for those system.

    If you are just sending HTML to the client, then nothing needs to be
    installed on the client -- no Java for applets, no .Net, no JavaScript.

    Mark Space, Mar 9, 2008
  20. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Mark Space wrote:
    > Logician wrote:
    >> Javascript is disabled on several browsers especially on computers
    >> running at large companies (a security measure).

    > I run with Javascript disabled, and I can't load most Flash images as
    > well as many types of media (YouTube, etc.) JavaScript is used to start
    > up the process.
    >
    > If you had a C# based solution, I imagine it would have the same problem
    > -- it wouldn't run because the JavaScript starter would not execute.

    Client side .NET can be put in using a pure object tag.

    Arne

    PS: I find it difficult to understand why people would allow Java, .NET
    and Flash but not JavaScript.

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008