C# versus Java for Interactive Images

Andrew Thompson

PS: I find it difficult to understand why people would allow Java, .NET
     and Flash but not JavaScript.

I suspect it is a hangover from IE's earlier
incarnations that would allows JS to invoke
powerful and potentially dangerous OS level
tools.

I agree with the general comments that suggest.
a) This could be done in HTML, with an imagemap
(and perhaps a little JS thrown in)
b) If the *average* user does not have JS enabled,
they will not have Java, Flex.. whatever.

Mark Space

Arne said:
PS: I find it difficult to understand why people would allow Java, .NET
and Flash but not JavaScript.

Just to be clear, I think the web page needs to execute some JavaScript
before it launches Flash, etc. Probably it's checking for browser
versions and compatibility. So many people use libraries for client side
scripting these days, that I'm sure all the libraries must do a lot of
compatibility checks before running anything. Disable JavaScript, and
you stop everything else from running too.

Andrew Thompson

...Disable JavaScript, and
you stop everything else from running too.

Not necessarily*. Well designed JS might do
versioning if enabled, but also specify a
'noscript' element to simply dump the applet
(or whatever) into the page if JS is disabled.

* Though yes, commonly.