Can you help?

Steven Burn

Basically, what I'm looking for, is some sort of script that I can drop into
a folder on my server, and when someone visits that specific folder (I'm
going to remove all file's from the folder as I've moved the site), the
script detects the file is not there, and auto-redirects them to the new
location (kind of like a "clever" 404 page).

As I do not have direct access to my server's settings (such as editing 404
pages etc), I cannot do it the "normal" way.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, scripts, reference links?

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Jeff Clark

have an asp page called default.asp.

In that page put <%response.redirect http://www.mysite%>

Who cares whether script detects that the folder is empty. The folder is
empty anyway..??..??..!!?>??

wtf
You just said you will empty the folder

Steven Burn

Yes but, people and search engines are still trying to access the old pages

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Chris Barber

If its an ASP site and the pages are .asp then use the Global.asa and
redirect in the Session_OnStart sub. That will kick off every time an ASP
page is requested with no session active.
You can also use a custom 404 error page to redirect (that's the way MS do
it I believe).

See:
http://www.plinko.net/404/howto.asp?article=5
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/02/40/index4a_page3.html?tw=backend
http://www.highcontext.com/Articles/howto/404.php

Hope this helps,

Chris.

Yes but, people and search engines are still trying to access the old pages

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Steven Burn

Chris, unfortunately, they're a mix of .jpg, .gif and .html pages.

I've read about the custom 404 pages, but from what I can gather, they need
to be set at server level, and can't be simply "dropped" into a folder.
Unfortunately I don't have access to my site's actual server settings.

Basically what I need is a re-direct script that will re-direct regardless
of whether file's are in the folder or not. using a default.asp or
index.html etc page is fine, however, that won't trap any of the other pages
accessed.....(hope I am making sense?)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Chris Barber

I believe that the custom 404 and Global.asa methods are the only methods
available in IIS for non .asp (and .asp of course) pages and .asp pages
respectively.

If it's apache then you may be able to do it with the .htaccess file?

You may be able to ask your host to set it up for you - might charge you
though?

Chris.

Chris, unfortunately, they're a mix of .jpg, .gif and .html pages.

I've read about the custom 404 pages, but from what I can gather, they need
to be set at server level, and can't be simply "dropped" into a folder.
Unfortunately I don't have access to my site's actual server settings.

Basically what I need is a re-direct script that will re-direct regardless
of whether file's are in the folder or not. using a default.asp or
index.html etc page is fine, however, that won't trap any of the other pages
accessed.....(hope I am making sense?)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Steven Burn

It's an IIS server.

I've spoken with my host about it but, unfortunately, they aren't able to
provide that service for me.

Thanks anyway.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Tom B

How about just putting in new versions of the old pages? Each new version,
just redirects to your new site.
Obviously, that wouldn't work for images, but it would catch most of the
users.

Chris Barber

How about you change the DNS entries for that host header to point to an web
server that will (OK, you'd have to find an ASP host that's willing to
provide the redirection or a free host on apache etc.)?
This is of course presuming you have access to your domains DNS entries /
nameserver.

Chris.

It's an IIS server.

I've spoken with my host about it but, unfortunately, they aren't able to
provide that service for me.

Thanks anyway.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Steven Burn

hehe, don't have access to those either :eek:(

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Steven Burn

I was going to do a re-direction with Javascript but, there's over 300 pages
:eek:( (very time consuming to do that).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Steven Burn

Cheers for the suggestion Tom. That seems like my best option at the moment.

Unfortunately, that means I'd have to do that for all 300+ pages :eek:(

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:
I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part :eek:)

Chris Barber

So who is your ISP?
They should provide access to the nameserver?

Chris.