Move site from Server A > Server B (without downloading)

Steven Burn

I'm curious as I am in need of advice on how I can move a site from an old
Win 2K server, to it's new home on a Win 2003 server, without having to mess
around with downloading/uploading the file's (there's over 30,000
file's/folders, so it would take forever to do it manually).

Thus, anyone have any idea on how one would proceed with doing this? (I've
heard of an ASP script thats capable of this, but can't seem to locate it).

TIA

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Do you have file share access to both servers? If so, you can use xcopy, go
out for dinner, and check on it later.

If you only have FTP access to either, you're pretty limited in what you can
do, I think.

Roland Hall

in message : hehe, I had a horrible feeling that was going to be the reply :eek:(

Steven...

You can create a new project with Visual Studio, synchronize and then upload
to a new site. However, using a GUI FTP client should offer roughly the
same capabilities to iterate folders. WS_FTP does but you would have to
copy it locally first, I believe and of course you could do that with
Explorer. The only time consuming task would be if you have different
authorization for different folders under the web root.

I usually work in master mode with Visual Studio so I always have a copy and
if I need to move to a new site, I just create a new project for the new
site, and upload the files, creating folders automatically.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Steven Burn

Curt,
Alas it appears not :eek:( (I've been trying to get this added for some
time as it would make it much easier to back the site's up aswell..........
but they won't add it for some reason).

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Steven Burn

Roland,
Thats basically what I ws thinking too. I'm going to go through my
300+ magazine cover CD's in a few, to see if I can find a copy of either
WS_FTP, SmartFTP, or CuteFTP (only one's I know of that can handle this kind
of thing properly....... without screaming at me, lol).

Cheers :eek:)

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Roland Hall

in message : Roland,
: Thats basically what I ws thinking too. I'm going to go through my
: 300+ magazine cover CD's in a few, to see if I can find a copy of either
: WS_FTP, SmartFTP, or CuteFTP (only one's I know of that can handle this
kind
: of thing properly....... without screaming at me, lol).

Well if this will help, ipswitch makes ws_ftp and you can probably get a
30-day eval. It didn't used to be crippled. It also has resume which can
definitely come in handy.

Roland

Rodd Snook

I would use site to site file transfer in FlashFXP, 30 day shareware =)

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately), most ISP/Hosting environments have
their FTP server and/or firewalls configured so that using the ftp PORT
command to a host other than that originating the FTP control connection
are not allowed. This is because enabling this command allows more-or-less
arbitrary access to any machine that the FTP server has access to. I.e.
you can use this to disguise your true IP address, or to access servers
behind firewalls (such as database and/or application servers). Most of
these FTP tools just fall back to download-then-upload strategy which
doesn't save you much except that the whole process can be left to run
overnight.

More Windows machines should have rsync or unison installed.
http://www.samba.org/rsync/
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/