Cannot use MSAccess database on WorkGroup with ASP

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Yall, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. Yall

    Yall Guest

    I have an ASP app on our site IIS server. Win2K
    Our site doesn't allow me to map the IIS server so the database can't be on
    the IIS sever.
    This doesn't work
    <appSettings>
    < add key="OleDBConnectString" value="Provider=Microsoft.jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=\\wg04\wg04data\SWDTP\ScienceFair1.MDB" />
    </appSettings>
    This works if I have the app and database on my local machine IIS and don't
    use UNC.
    <appSettings>
    <add key="OleDBConnectString" value="Provider=Microsoft.jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=D:\ScienceFair\ScienceFair1.MDB" />
    </appSettings>

    How can I have the database on a workgroup and use UNC to access it?
    And the ASP app on our site IIS.

    OBTW if I have a windows .net app, not ASP, then I can use UNC to access the
    database on the same workgroup, no problem.
    Yall, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Hello Yall,

    This is because your asp user account doesnt have permissions to access
    a network resource. Try giving it permissions it should work. The windows
    app works because it runs under the priveledges of the user currently signed
    on.
    HTH
    Regards,
    Dilip Krishnan