Can't create projects / open projects

jaredea

I have the following setup:

SBS 2003 Server
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server (setup as an Application Server)
Windows XP Pro Desktop

Both the Application server and desktop have Visual Studio 2003 on
them as well as the .NET Framework 1.1

I started to use .NET on the desktop to test things out...then i setup
the 2003 server and now i'm trying to develop to that server but am
having a heck of a time getting it to work...

If i try to create or open a new project using localhost i get the:

"visual studio .net has detected that the specified web server is not
running asp.net version 1.1"

error...

If i create a project on the dev server in Visual Studio and run it it
works fine...

If i try and use the dev server's IP address to create a project, i
get a long error i didn't want to type here, but have a screen shot of
it:

www.prolooksports.com/VB/error.gif

I've tried everything i can think of, from:

-running aspnet_regiis.exe -i
-adding the desktop user to the VS Developers group
-creating a Get_aspx_ver.aspx file and putting it in the root web per
these instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825792
-hitting my head against the wall...

If i type localhost from the desktop, it takes me to its own IIS 5.1
and not the DEV server...

i have a feeling that having the SBS 2003 in the mix and IIS on the
desktop is keeping things from flowing...

any ideas - i've been trying to troubleshoot this for hours with no
luck...

jared

Guest

Hi,

What are the different versions of framework you have?

You could specifiy ASP.NET should run under 1.1 in IIS Properties.

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Jaredea.

re:
"visual studio .net has detected that the specified web server is not
running asp.net version 1.1"

1. Check to see that you have enabled ASP.NET 1.1

IIS 6.0 requires that you enable any web service extension you use.
To do that, open the IIS mmc, scroll down to the "Web Service Extensions"
node ( on the left-hand side, right after the "Websites" node ),
select the ASP.NET v1.1.4322 extension on the right-hand side,
and click the "Allow" button.

If you also want to develop for ASP.NET 2.0, enable that, too.

2. Remember that you need to run 1.1 apps and 2.0 apps in separate Application
Pools, so if you're going to use both 1.1 and 2.0, create a new application pools,
assign all 1.1 apps to it and use the DefaultAppPool for 2.0 apps.

re:
If i try and use the dev server's IP address to create a project, i
get a long error i didn't want to type here, but have a screen shot of
it: www.prolooksports.com/VB/error.gif

Please read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320265/EN-US/
and follow the instructions on it.

jaredea

Thank you both...the strange thing is i did check to make sure that
ASP.NET was enabled, but then i did some other stuff
(remove/re-install) and i guess it disabled...so, now i'm not getting
the "...server not running asp..." -- but still have the other issues
with creating a project (although a slightly different error) and now
that i can open a previous project we worked on before getting the new
servers I can't debug...here are the errors:

Debugging Error:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
web server. The debugger component on the server failed to connect to
the local machine."

I added the user to the Debuggers group and that didn't help...

Error trying to create a new project:

I've posted screen shots of these 2 errors because they are pretty
long...the first screen shows what comes up when i try to do a new
project (in VS 2003 i went into: tools > options > Projects and
solutions > Visual Studio Projects Location > and changed the location
to the W: drive which is mapped to the Web Server where our files are
located.) The second screen is the error that comes up....

Here are the screen shots:

http://www.prolooksports.com/vb/1.gif
http://www.prolooksports.com/vb/2.gif

jared

Guest

I am having the same problem. I do not see a Web Service Extension nod in
IIS. Do you know why?