CDOSYS problems

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by tshad, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. tshad

    tshad Guest

    This is a problem that we saw before on our asp site, but don't know how to
    fix it. We are seeing it on our .net site also.

    We have our email sending from our Windows 2003 server with exchange fine,
    unless we send to an alias.

    It never gets there.

    I can send directly and it works fine and the CDOSYS works fine to a
    non-alias account.

    I have the following code:

    Dim Message As New MailMessage()
    ' message.From = webMasterEmail
    message.From = ""
    message.To = email.text
    message.Subject = "Confirmation Required"
    message.Body = "This is a test message"
    message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = mailServer
    smtpMail.Send(message)

    This works fine when the message.To is to my yahoo, dslextreme as well as my
    normal business account. If I send to my alias account at work it never
    shows up. We seem to have this with all our aliases. But I can send
    directly to the alias from outlook without any problem.

    I don't think this is an exchange problem, as it works fine if I send to my
    alias from my email client.

    Anyone know why this doesn't work?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Jul 13, 2005

  2. CDO wants an SMTP e-mail address. What do you mean by alias? What happens
    if you address it to an Exchange recipient's SMTP address?

    Also, is this ASP? Dim Message As...?

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jul 13, 2005

  3. tshad

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    tshad wrote:
    > This is a problem that we saw before on our asp site, but don't know how to
    > fix it. We are seeing it on our .net site also.
    >
    > We have our email sending from our Windows 2003 server with exchange fine,
    > unless we send to an alias.
    >
    > It never gets there.
    >
    > I can send directly and it works fine and the CDOSYS works fine to a
    > non-alias account.
    >
    > I have the following code:
    >
    > Dim Message As New MailMessage()
    > ' message.From = webMasterEmail
    > message.From = ""
    > message.To = email.text
    > message.Subject = "Confirmation Required"
    > message.Body = "This is a test message"
    > message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
    > SmtpMail.SmtpServer = mailServer
    > smtpMail.Send(message)
    >
    > This works fine when the message.To is to my yahoo, dslextreme as well as my
    > normal business account. If I send to my alias account at work it never
    > shows up. We seem to have this with all our aliases. But I can send
    > directly to the alias from outlook without any problem.
    >
    > I don't think this is an exchange problem, as it works fine if I send to my
    > alias from my email client.
    >
    > Anyone know why this doesn't work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    Most likely its a "relay" setting. Check the drop folder, see if there
    is message error there.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    Curt_C [MVP], Jul 13, 2005
  4. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_at_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > tshad wrote:
    >> This is a problem that we saw before on our asp site, but don't know how
    >> to fix it. We are seeing it on our .net site also.
    >>
    >> We have our email sending from our Windows 2003 server with exchange
    >> fine,
    >> unless we send to an alias.
    >>
    >> It never gets there.
    >>
    >> I can send directly and it works fine and the CDOSYS works fine to a
    >> non-alias account.
    >>
    >> I have the following code:
    >>
    >> Dim Message As New MailMessage()
    >> ' message.From = webMasterEmail
    >> message.From = ""
    >> message.To = email.text
    >> message.Subject = "Confirmation Required"
    >> message.Body = "This is a test message"
    >> message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
    >> SmtpMail.SmtpServer = mailServer
    >> smtpMail.Send(message)
    >>
    >> This works fine when the message.To is to my yahoo, dslextreme as well as
    >> my
    >> normal business account. If I send to my alias account at work it never
    >> shows up. We seem to have this with all our aliases. But I can send
    >> directly to the alias from outlook without any problem.
    >>
    >> I don't think this is an exchange problem, as it works fine if I send to
    >> my
    >> alias from my email client.
    >>
    >> Anyone know why this doesn't work?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > Most likely its a "relay" setting. Check the drop folder, see if there is
    > message error there.

    Where is the Drop folder?

    Is it on Exchange?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Jul 13, 2005
  5. tshad

    tshad Guest

    message news:O$...
    > CDO wants an SMTP e-mail address. What do you mean by alias? What
    > happens
    > if you address it to an Exchange recipient's SMTP address?

    Exchange allows you to set up aliases either to different domains or
    different names on the same domain. When the mail comes in, Exchange
    resolves to your primary name.

    For example, my primary name could be . But I could set
    up an alias of .

    Anyone sending mail to would get rerouted to my address
    ().

    Or I could have multiple domains. I could have another domain of "abc.com"
    (this would have to be a valid domain that is pointing to my server that has
    exchange on it). So I could have or .

    All of these would be resolved by Exchange to and sent to
    my machine.

    Tom

    > Also, is this ASP? Dim Message As...?

    No. In this case, it is asp.net - but no one has answered the question
    there and I had the same problem in asp.

    tshad, Jul 13, 2005
  6. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "tshad" <> wrote in message
    > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_at_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    >> tshad wrote:
    >>> This is a problem that we saw before on our asp site, but don't know how
    >>> to fix it. We are seeing it on our .net site also.
    >>>
    >>> We have our email sending from our Windows 2003 server with exchange
    >>> fine,
    >>> unless we send to an alias.
    >>>
    >>> It never gets there.
    >>>
    >>> I can send directly and it works fine and the CDOSYS works fine to a
    >>> non-alias account.
    >>>
    >>> I have the following code:
    >>>
    >>> Dim Message As New MailMessage()
    >>> ' message.From = webMasterEmail
    >>> message.From = ""
    >>> message.To = email.text
    >>> message.Subject = "Confirmation Required"
    >>> message.Body = "This is a test message"
    >>> message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
    >>> SmtpMail.SmtpServer = mailServer
    >>> smtpMail.Send(message)
    >>>
    >>> This works fine when the message.To is to my yahoo, dslextreme as well
    >>> as my
    >>> normal business account. If I send to my alias account at work it never
    >>> shows up. We seem to have this with all our aliases. But I can send
    >>> directly to the alias from outlook without any problem.
    >>>
    >>> I don't think this is an exchange problem, as it works fine if I send to
    >>> my
    >>> alias from my email client.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know why this doesn't work?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>>

    >> Most likely its a "relay" setting. Check the drop folder, see if there is
    >> message error there.

    > Where is the Drop folder?
    >
    > Is it on Exchange?

    Also, I can send mail directly from outside with not problem to these
    addresses. It is only when I use my Web Server and CDOSYS that I seem to
    have a problem.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Jul 13, 2005
  7. tshad

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    tshad wrote:
    > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_at_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>tshad wrote:
    >>
    >>>This is a problem that we saw before on our asp site, but don't know how
    >>>to fix it. We are seeing it on our .net site also.
    >>>
    >>>We have our email sending from our Windows 2003 server with exchange
    >>>fine,
    >>>unless we send to an alias.
    >>>
    >>>It never gets there.
    >>>
    >>>I can send directly and it works fine and the CDOSYS works fine to a
    >>>non-alias account.
    >>>
    >>>I have the following code:
    >>>
    >>> Dim Message As New MailMessage()
    >>>' message.From = webMasterEmail
    >>> message.From = ""
    >>> message.To = email.text
    >>> message.Subject = "Confirmation Required"
    >>> message.Body = "This is a test message"
    >>> message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
    >>> SmtpMail.SmtpServer = mailServer
    >>> smtpMail.Send(message)
    >>>
    >>>This works fine when the message.To is to my yahoo, dslextreme as well as
    >>>my
    >>>normal business account. If I send to my alias account at work it never
    >>>shows up. We seem to have this with all our aliases. But I can send
    >>>directly to the alias from outlook without any problem.
    >>>
    >>>I don't think this is an exchange problem, as it works fine if I send to
    >>>my
    >>>alias from my email client.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone know why this doesn't work?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>>

    >>Most likely its a "relay" setting. Check the drop folder, see if there is
    >>message error there.

    > Where is the Drop folder?
    >
    > Is it on Exchange?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom
    >

    >>--
    >>Curt Christianson
    >>site: http://www.darkfalz.com
    >>blog: http://blog.darkfalz.com

    under the MAILROOT path (in the IIS path).

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    Curt_C [MVP], Jul 13, 2005
  8. tshad

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    tshad wrote:
    > "tshad" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_at_darkfalz.com> wrote in message

    >>>Most likely its a "relay" setting. Check the drop folder, see if there is
    >>>message error there.

    >>Where is the Drop folder?
    >>
    >>Is it on Exchange?
    >>

    > Also, I can send mail directly from outside with not problem to these
    > addresses. It is only when I use my Web Server and CDOSYS that I seem to
    > have a problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    Yeah, but your "from" is registering as actually coming from the
    webserver, and not matching, and trying to go out to yet another address...

    But this amy all be irrelvant. What is the "alias" you are sending to?
    Most likely its just a matter of exchange interpreting right.
    If it doesnt work in ASP nor in ASP.NET most likely it is a
    server/exchange setting, not a programming one I'd guess.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    Curt_C [MVP], Jul 13, 2005
  9. Your problem is most likely with relaying, dns, or Exchange. When a server
    gets an e-mail that it's supposed to send, it performs a DNS lookup to check
    for a mail exchanger (mx) DNS record to tell it where it should send the
    e-mail. So, your IIS server, if not using a smarthost, will say, "Okay,
    let's see. I have an e-mail here that's destinted for the deltanet.com
    domain. Let me query my DNS server to see where that's supposed to go." If
    it gets back a resposne from the DNS server, it attempts to connect to that
    remote server and deliver the message to it. If that remote server answers
    and says, "Uh, yeah, ? That should come here to me." And
    then it will file the e-mail in the appropriate user's inbox. If the
    message is not appearing in the user's inbox, what can be happening?

    If you've successfully sent e-mails to other addresses in the same domain,
    then you know that you're able to e-mail that domain from your IIS server.
    So relaying and MX is fine. So, perhaps those other SMTP addresses don't
    really exist? Or, if those e-mail addresses do in fact have a different
    domain, then perhaps the MX records don't actually exist.

    Is the From address of your mail object your e-mail address? If not, set it
    to that so that you can see if you might get a response message back from
    either the local or remote server giving you details as to what happened to
    the message.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jul 13, 2005
  10. tshad

    Roland Hall Guest

    "tshad" wrote in message news:%23asAaJ%...
    : "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote in
    : message news:O$...
    :
    : Exchange allows you to set up aliases either to different domains or
    : different names on the same domain. When the mail comes in, Exchange
    : resolves to your primary name.
    :
    : For example, my primary name could be . But I could set
    : up an alias of .

    An account can support multiple addresses (secondaries) or you can have one
    address forward to another in one of two ways:

    1. forward and keep a copy
    2. just forward

    The primary address is used as the address given in the FROM: and REPLY-TO:

    You can also setup a distribution list so anyone in the DL will get a copy
    but the DL doesn't have a mailbox. Think of it as a multi-forward address.
    You can also use a public folder because they too have addresses.

    However, an alias in Exchange is not an address and it does not work with
    3rd party. In other words, Outlook would have to be used to send to an
    alias. Ex. alias bhope. The alias would resolve to Bob's
    primary address before sending but Outlook queries Exchange. I don't
    remember if you have to be running Outlook in CW mode or if it also works in
    IMO but irrelevant here.

    : Anyone sending mail to would get rerouted to my address
    : ().
    :
    : Or I could have multiple domains. I could have another domain of
    "abc.com"
    : (this would have to be a valid domain that is pointing to my server that
    has
    : exchange on it). So I could have or .

    You can setup foreign addresses where a message could be accepted but it
    then forwards the message to the foreign domain. These addresses to not
    have local mailboxes.

    : All of these would be resolved by Exchange to and sent
    : my machine.
    :
    : Tom
    : >
    : > Also, is this ASP? Dim Message As...?
    :
    : No. In this case, it is asp.net - but no one has answered the question
    : there and I had the same problem in asp.

    You would need to show Classic ASP code here. It will increase your chances
    for success.

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */