Changing scrollbar color

Hans

Is it possible to change the color of scrollbars in Mozilla browsers? In IE
I can change the outlook of the scrollbars with:

scrollbar-face-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #C0C0C0;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #C0C0C0;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #8A8589;
scrollbar-track-color: #FFFFFF

These does not seems to work on Mozilla (Netscape 7.1) (so I guess it is not
in the CSS standard maybe there are other ways to achive the same thing?).

Regards
/Hans

rf

Hans said:
Is it possible to change the color of scrollbars in Mozilla browsers?

No. Why would you want to?
In IE
I can change the outlook of the scrollbars with:

<snip CSS>

Yes, well this is a microsoft invention, not supported by either the
standards nor other browsers.
These does not seems to work on Mozilla (Netscape 7.1)
Correct.

(so I guess it is not
in the CSS standard

Did you check?
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
maybe there are other ways to achive the same thing?).

No, thankfully there are not. Do not attempt to fiddle with your viewers UA.
You will confuse her.

Leif K-Brooks

jake said:
To enhance your viewing experience, of course.

Would you want a road to change the color of your car's steering wheel
without asking permission?

Els

Leif said:
Would you want a road to change the color of your car's
steering wheel without asking permission?

I think that would be really cool actually, spooky, but cool
<bg>

Mark Parnell

Is it possible to change the color of scrollbars in Mozilla browsers?

Only your own. Luckily there is no way for you to change the colour of
my scroll bars (short of coming here and fiddling with my settings).
In IE
I can change the outlook of the scrollbars with:
<snip proprietary MS crap>

I know - annoying, isn't it?

Sam Hughes

Hans said:
Is it possible to change the color of scrollbars in Mozilla browsers?

What is the purpose of your Web site? How does profaning the scroll bar
help achieve this purpose?

Dylan Parry

Spake Els unto thee:
I think that would be really cool actually, spooky, but cool
<bg>

But where would it stop? Soon there would be animated potholes and people
trying to force extra coloured lines on the road where no coloured lines
should be. Of course, you can use your own custom driver's license to
override the above, but how many drivers would know about that feature?

Els

Dylan said:
Spake Els unto thee:

But where would it stop? Soon there would be animated
potholes

Reminds me of Roger Rabbit...
and people trying to force extra coloured lines on
the road where no coloured lines should be.

No, no, can't have that. The Steering Wheel Colouring is cool,
but indeed, where does it end.
Of course, you
can use your own custom driver's license to override the
above, but how many drivers would know about that feature?

Well... I actually think most drivers, with or without license,
custom or not custom made, knowingly or not having a clue...
would "over-ride" that feature...

It's in the nature of the car I suppose...
<g>

Hans

Hi Sam!

Sam Hughes said:
What is the purpose of your Web site? How does profaning the scroll bar
help achieve this purpose?

The web site is an inhouse (not public) site and the reason that I want to
change the colour of the scrollbars (for example in textareas) is because I
think they don't look nice (NN7.1 with "default" theme). Of course that is
my opinion and you may say that it is up to the user to apply a theme and
that is cool for you that are more or less professionals when it comes to
html/browser stuff. 99% of my users cannot spell to themes and definitely
don't know how to change them and as far as I know if you select a theme the
scrollbars will look the same on every page, which in many cases is good but
in my case it looks odd (the "default" grey scrollbars is not good looking
right now and I want a more discrete colour). In many cases it is good to
have the grey scorllbars and I have no problems with them in the right
border of the page but when they are presented in the middle of the page (in
textareas for example) it does not look nice to me (you may argue about this
but this is my opinion). I don't think there is much difference in setting
the scrollbar colours then changing the color for a text to red. Should the
user override this by saying I want all texts to be black?

Well I have received the answer that it is not possible to override the
scrollbars (more than applying another theme) so there is not much more to
discuss. Thank you all for you input.

Regards
/Hans

Dylan Parry

Spake Els unto thee:
It's in the nature of the car I suppose...
<g>

Ah yes, but the problem would arise when the coloured lines on the road,
and indeed the colour of the steering wheels, were interpreted differently
by Volvos and Fords. Which brings us back on-topic, as one cannot rely on
a subset of non-standard features being present across browsers.

Els

Dylan said:
Spake Els unto thee:

Ah yes, but the problem would arise when the coloured lines
on the road, and indeed the colour of the steering wheels,
were interpreted differently by Volvos and Fords. Which
brings us back on-topic, as one cannot rely on a subset of
non-standard features being present across browsers.

Agreed :)

jake

Leif K-Brooks said:
Would you want a road to change the color of your car's steering wheel
without asking permission?

And just how would the road do that?

regards.

Chris Morris

jake said:
And just how would the road do that?

Colour LCD display on the surface of the steering wheel, picking up
radio signals for the colour codes from transmitters along the road.

Not yet implemented.

jake

Chris Morris said:
Colour LCD display on the surface of the steering wheel, picking up
radio signals for the colour codes from transmitters along the road.

Not yet implemented.
Hmmmmm ......... sounds worth waiting for ......

regards.

Neal

Colour LCD display on the surface of the steering wheel, picking up
radio signals for the colour codes from transmitters along the road.

Not yet implemented.

Won't work on my car anyway, it's the wrong model.

Blinky the Shark

Colour LCD display on the surface of the steering wheel, picking up
radio signals for the colour codes from transmitters along the road.
Not yet implemented.

Next: Those transmitters feed the display text ads that "marquee"
around the wheel.