    transition. Now that 2.0 is available, it should be much more viable.

    Any assistance is appreciated.

    Carlin

    Carlin Anderson, Apr 16, 2007

  2. "Carlin Anderson" <> wrote in
    message news:D...
    > I have a large classic ASP web application which needs to now support

    chinese
    > character entry (I don't have to worry about the UI yet - the data entry
    > people can read english). Other than changing the database fields over to
    > "N" data types, do I need to do anything to the actual entry fields

    (input,
    > textbox) on the various forms to be able to capture the information.

    Some
    > users will be entering the information in english, while others will be
    > translating the same info into chinese as they enter it.
    >
    > I know this is probably much easier in .net, but we have yet made that
    > transition. Now that 2.0 is available, it should be much more viable.
    >
    > Any assistance is appreciated.
    >
    > Carlin

    You will need the Form pages to be sent as UTF-8 and the client informed of
    that choice.

    Response.Codepage = 65001
    Response.CharSet = "UTF-8"

    If your existing page contains characters outside the standard ASCII set
    save the file as UTF-8.

    Now this is important, any page receiving a POST from such a form MUST
    specify Response.CodePage = 65001 before it attempts to retrieve values from
    the form fields.

    With that done and NVARCHAR fields in place you should be ok.

    Anthony.

    Anthony Jones, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Carlin Anderson

    michal Guest

    a meta tag in all pages to indicate the encoding:

    >Now this is important, any page receiving a POST from such a form MUST
    >specify Response.CodePage = 65001 before it attempts to retrieve values from
    >the form fields.

    Thats very important!

    michal, Apr 17, 2007
  4. "michal" <> wrote in message
    > a meta tag in all pages to indicate the encoding:

    Since the actual content-type header already contains this value why is this
    meta tag needed?

    Anthony Jones, Apr 17, 2007
  5. Carlin Anderson

    michal Guest