    Can anyone either tell me where I can find one or how I can go about
    building one?

    Andrew Poulos
    Andrew Poulos, May 11, 2005

  2. Andrew Poulos

    RobB Guest

    Andrew Poulos wrote:
    > I need to build a colour wheel. It has these specs:
    > - The user needs to be able to select a colour from it
    > - It should show as many colours as reasonable. The client wanted the
    > entire 16 million+ colour spectrum but I pointed out that at one

    colour
    > per pixel that's a 2,000 pixel square. It would be good to get

    thousands
    > of colours.
    > - The colours in the wheel should have a smooth transition across the

    wheel.

    > I was thinking of building the wheel in some other app and screen
    > capturing it and then using some arithmetic to work out the colour

    under
    > the cursor but the numbers are killing me.
    >
    > Can anyone either tell me where I can find one or how I can go about
    > building one?
    >
    > Andrew Poulos

    Always kind of liked this one:

    http://simplythebest.net/scripts/DHTML_scripts/javascripts/javascript_115.html

    Uses a jpg - but it's a reasonable weight for the task.
    RobB, May 11, 2005

  3. Andrew Poulos

    RobB Guest

    RobB, May 11, 2005
  4. Andrew Poulos wrote:
    <snip>
    > ... . The client wanted the entire 16 million+
    > colour spectrum but I pointed out that
    > at one colour per pixel that's a 2,000 pixel
    > square. ...

    <snip>
    > I was thinking of building the wheel in some other app and screen
    > capturing it and then using some arithmetic to work out the colour
    > under the cursor but the numbers are killing me.

    <snip>

    Apparently the number are killing you. A square showing all of the 24
    bit pallet would be 4096 pixels square.

    Picking from a pre-created image, and deducing the colors form the
    offsets is still going to be the most practical approach (if you insist
    on having a 'color wheel' to start with) as otherwise you would need
    thousands of individually colored HTML elements (table cells or DIVs or
    something) and that would be a monstrous download (or an really slow
    script) just for a minor GUI widget.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, May 11, 2005