    I need to test some client side SOAP calls

    Thanks in advance

    Stuart

    NonNB, Oct 18, 2006

  2. Hi,

    NonNB wrote:
    > Apols for the post here, but there is no public.inetserver.cassini
    >
    > Is there a way to configure the cassini / ASP NET Development web
    > server:
    > 1) So that the port can be pegged (seems to be random)?
    > 2) So that can access the server using hostname other than localhost?
    >
    > I need to test some client side SOAP calls
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Stuart

    About Cassini itself, I don't know, but everything you mention here can
    easily be done by adding a virtual folder in IIS. This is how I usually
    proceed. Debugging can be done by attaching the debugger to the ASPNET
    process (or the working process on Windows Server 2003).

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Oct 18, 2006

  3. NonNB

    David Wang Guest

    Cassini is a test server written by the ASP.Net team. It has no
    relation to IIS.

    I suggest asking your question to an ASP.Net-specific support group,
    such as www.asp.net Forums.

    Personally, I would just download the code to Cassini and modify it to
    peg the port and remove the localhost restriction.

    //David
    http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
    //

    David Wang, Oct 18, 2006
  4. NonNB

    Lou Zher Guest

    1. The port can be controlled, but it's a function of the thing that starts
    cassini (now called Visual Studio Development Server) In Visual Studio 2005
    in the Web tab of Project properties there's a "Use Visual Studio
    Development Server" setting with "Auto-assign Port" as the default, but you
    can set the specific port. There's also a Web Site Administration Tool, but
    this doesn't let you set the port. You can also run the server manually via
    command-line (go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\
    and run WebDev.WebServer2.exe /? for help)

    2. I don't think it supports host headers -- not usually a big problem
    considering it doesn't support serving requests to other machines.

    -LZ

    Lou Zher, Oct 18, 2006
  5. re:
    > 1) So that the port can be pegged (seems to be random)?

    To change the port from dynamic to fixed, click on the Project's name
    ( address for its source files ) in the Solution Explorer.

    Then, go to the "Properties" dialog box on the bottom right.
    Change the "Use dynamic port" dropdown to "False" and set whatever port you want to set.

    From that point on the port won't be random.
    The server will use whatever pot you configured it to use.

    re:
    > 2) So that can access the server using hostname other than localhost?

    You can't do that unless you run your app under IIS.

    You must publish your website to localhost if you want
    to use a different hostname or your machine's name.

    re:
    >cassini

    Don't call it that. Call it the "ASP.NET Development Web Server" or the "VS internal web server".
    Although it's based on Cassini's source, it does a lot more than Cassini ever did.

    Btw, if you're using the .Net Framework 1.1, and not 2.0,
    you might want to take a look at CassiniEx :

    http://www.systemex.net/CassiniEx/

    It's a development server based on Cassini, much modified,
    which allows multiple host headers and ports for the applications it runs.

    Take a couple of minutes to check out its readme file :
    http://www.systemex.net/CassiniEx/README.txt

    You can also download its source if you want to play with its features.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 18, 2006
  6. NonNB