Cassini error when running aspx file

Randall Parker

I managed to create and compile a simple aspx source file from VS 2003. When I try to
access it thru the Cassini web server from my web browser on the same machine I get
this below. Anyone know why?

Originally web.config was
<authentication mode="Windows" />
and had the same error. But I tried editing the web.config file line 46 to "None"
and that didn't help. They mention IIS in the error message. But I'm not using IIS.

http://localhost/WebApplication1/DeviceUpdateStatus.aspx

Server Error in '/' Application.
Configuration Error
to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify
your configuration file appropriately.

allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be
caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 44: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services
for member sites.
Line 45: -->
Line 46: <authentication mode="None" />
Line 47:
Line 48: <!-- AUTHORIZATION

Source File: d:\mainpage\wwwroot\WebApplication1\web.config Line: 46

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

Randall Parker

Commenting out two sections of web.config fixed my problem. Got the answer here:

http://forums.asp.net/1082874/ShowPost.aspx
Excerpt:
The project can be started without debugging, but it doesn't appear to do anything?
Right-clicking on the WebForm1.aspx and selecting 'view in browser' gives an
authentication error, easily fixed by commenting out the authentication line in the
Web.config file. Similarly, the whole of the sessionState block needs to be commented
out.